We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europcar

Pretoria
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Europcar

Beware Europcar.

We booked a Prado from Casablanca airport 03 October 2013. It wasnt there. We were given a small van and told the Prado would be delivered in Fez. Drove uncomfortably to Fez, many phone calls and half a day lost , eventually they delivered -a Touareg. This produced two tyre blowouts on tarred roads. Attended to the first ourselves. The spare Tyre in a Touareg is uninflated. The car looks pretty but I wouldnt buy one.

Two alleged mechanics attended the second blowout. One had a blood soaked piece of tissue protruding from his nose. Nice. They attempted to remove the tyre without jacking the car up. Three hours later we left them to it and went to our hotel.They left us with a small Dacia. We had to drive back to Ouarzarzarte the next morning as they were "unable" to deliver a replacement car to Ait Ben Haddhou.

In Ouarzarzarte we were offered the Touareg, supposedly repaired and ready to go. There WAS a tyre on the blownout wheel, but it had been stuffed with PAPER all around the rim to make it fit. Please believe me, we have witnesses and photographs. We made it clear that we were not driving that car anywhere, and certainly not over Tizi n Tichka. Phone calls to Casablanca were needed to obtain another car, and the very unpleasant manager Moustaffa refused to allow us use of the office phone. At last (another half day of our holiday lost) we were given an Audi, very nice but damaged and the fourth car we had been given by Europcar. None of which was the car we had paid for in advance.

This last Car was returned to Casablanca airport on departure, all accounts were finalised and our $5000 bond recovered.

Ten days after we left Morocco, Europcar withdrew $900 from my bank account. I immediately protested to the bank, but they said I had authorised it by providing my account details for the bond instead of swiping my card (but its not possible to swipe without GIVING them the $5000).

I have had to cancel my card and instigate a Visa enquiry. Calls to Europcar produce denials that they have deducted $900. THEIR WEBSITE IS PROBLEMATIC, MANY OFFICE PHONE NUMBERS INCORRECT, AND THEY ARE GENERALLY VERY HARD TO ACCESS.

I hope this true story helps save other travellers from Europcar.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europcar

I've never had a problem with Europcar, it's a partner company for EasyJet and a company I've recommended to others without problems.

I'm not saying I dispute what happened to you. Obviously something you need to sort out with the company, and given the problems you encountered you should ask for additional recompense. Let us know how this eventually pans out.

Edited: 26 October 2013, 12:04
California
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europcar

Oh no! I've booked with Europcar for a car in November. I haven't heard about the bond? If you pay with a credit card do you still need to put up a bond?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europcar

Never heard of the need for a bond, we've never encountered that before. There's a few things I don't understand about the OP's post.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europcar

Finally recovered my money through Visa disputes. Europcar had emptied my bank account after I left Morocco. No request was made for damage payments when we returned their vehicles and see earlier story no vehicles were damaged by us

So avoid Europcar in Morocco. their vehicles were very dangerous due to appalling maintenance.

And never let anyone keep your card details. Scan your card and if scan not available go elsewhere or you could become a victim of this car rental deposit scam!

Pretoria
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europcar

Tim Europcar Casablanca wouldnt give us the car unless they had a $5000 bond over my bank account.

We had booked and prepaid through carrentals.com and were not warned about this.

Kuala Lumpur
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Europcar

During my Arrival on Germany, Frankfurt main airport T2, 2nd November 2013 9.30am, the Europcar staff gave me the car key and asked to signed on the computer device for Euro1613.06 as authorised fee, estimated payable amount was Euro1160.85.

The car was given to me without any inspection in front of me. I noticed that this car has many dented parts, missing parts and the rubber of the driver's door is broken, and the staff in the parking told me it is ok.

On 11th Novemeber, 3.45pm, i try to return the car to Paris - Invalides Train station before it close on 6pm. The address in very confusing, at first the GPS guide me to wrong way. When i finally reached the location, there are no sign where is the Europcar's office located, even i asked the local they also don't know.End up i have to park my car aside, and walk through buildings to find it out.

Finally i found them inside a building, however it was only A EMPTY TABLE WITH NOTES to guide me to return my car to another PARKING. It really wasted my time. i was in a hurry as other family member is waiting in the hotel and our voucher to Eiffel Tower is on 5pm.

After another 20 minutes to look for the Car Park, i finally manage to park it on the EUROPCAR's carpark.

As been advised by Europcar's staff, i carried the GPS with me and walk in to the door next to the lift, hoping to return the key and asking for Invoice and exact amount for the rental.

However, it was nobody there again. It is on working hour, why there are no people in charge here????

but i am really really rushing. Then i noticed there is a Big Safe Box next to the door, which people throw their key inside to return the car, i have no choice but to put the key in.

After i throw in the key, i found that the GPS is still holding in my hand. what can i do? put on top of the safe box or put on top of the car i rented? who will be bear if missing? and i am really rushing on time, it will burst our 6x 14.5= Eur67 eiffel tower tickets. So i decided to carry the GPS and return to them whenever i see them in anywhere.

i really hate this kind of service. they didnt tell me that there are no people in the car return centre, and the location is different to what they stated. it almost ruined all my plans. and i have to carry the GPS everywhere.

By the next day, there is a Europcar's Van stop in the Champ Elysees area, i talked to the driver and he willing to help me to return the GPS to their company, and asked me to write down all my rental details. i am so happy that things are finally settled. And for safety, i capture his plate number before i give the device to the driver.

The plate number is : CV-803_QV.

on 19th November, when i returned to Malaysia, i find out that they charge me for Euro1523.80 without any invoice or notice. which is Euro373.77 higher than the agreement.

i already sent few feedback to Europcar.com but still no response from them.

The rentel agreement number : 1068970793

i already send many emails, feedback to their website, emails, facebook since nov2013, but nobody care of it for 2 months.

Finally when i post my complaint on their facebook page, they replied me.

they said it was a bank holiday thus no one at the counter. however the was no Sign stating it was closed.

As a tourist, we wouldn't know it is a Holiday on monday. (11/11/13)

They also said is my fault to giving the device to "anyone in the street".

A man who wear Europcar uniform and driving a Europcar Van is not their staff???

they even refuse to check with the driver even i provide the Van's car plate number and photo.

What they want is only count everything on me!

This will be my one-time-off to deal with Europcar. I will strongly suggest everyone to avoid this company and go for other like Sixt.

Sixt is a very reliable company, they have no hidden cost and will inspect the car together with you.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Level Contributor
122 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europcar

I recently hired from Europcar Casablanca airport via internet. I thought that the additional payment I had made for collision damage made a deposit unnecessary. They wouldn't give me a car without getting an authorisation for about 1000€ from my credit card. Their staff, in my opinion, were not pleasant and tried to rush the customer rather than help. I had to sign a form saying that car was in perfect condition and tank full before even seeing the car. Dents and scratches were only noted on MY copy of the contract after inspection at the parking lot, which was carried out by a guy who may or may not be an employee of Europcar . Also had to waste time looking for Europcar guy because on starting the engine found that petrol was only just over half full, not a full tank as I'd signed for in the office. In my opinion, Europcar at Casablanca airport is to be avoided.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europcar

I have been so angered by my recent treatment at the hands of what I had thought to be a reputable company that I felt compelled to join this site and share my experience.

I booked a rental car through Europcar in Nice, after receiving a link to their site where I made the booking through a rental car price comparison site. On the price comparison site (I forget which one I used) there was a list of vehicles and the rental cost for the period I had specified. I chose a Mercedes C-Class, a link took me through to the Europcar page and I booked the car, receiving a confirmation email with a Mercedes C-Class on it. In the small print it said I would receive this car “or similar”.

When I arrived at the Europcar desk at Nice airport (which took nearly an hour on the circular bus from Terminal 1) they tried to give me a Citroen C5. Having had one of these before (which I had consciously ordered) I said I did not want it, if I did I would have paid much less on the car comparison site (Citroen C5s were available to be booked for much less money due to the fact they're less desirable). When I drove one before I found it in my opinion to be heavy, underpowered and with a cheap interior. I said this was not a comparable car to a Mercedes C-Class, although an Audi A4, A BMW 3-series would have been. I also said that in nobody's perception except theirs, or perhaps Citroen’s is a Citroen C5 comparable to a Mercedes C-Class.

I ended up refusing the car and took a taxi into Nice, because the prices for car rental on the day were much in excess of what could have been booked in advance. I eventually received a partial refund, (and was made to feel I was very lucky to be receiving it), but minus a "no show fee" of £45.

I kept saying this was ridiculous as I did "show" and I had the right to refuse what I did not feel to be an acceptable service when being presented with a different option to the one I had paid for. I talked to three Europcar customer service agents on the phone and had an e-mail dialogue of nearly 10 emails before they eventually decided to return my £45. Prior to that they kept on replying telling me I would receive no refund because a Citroen C5 is just like a Mercedes C-Class.

Here is an example:

"Thank you for your further query to Europcar Customer Services, received on 21st March 2014.

All vehicles are indicated on the website to be an example model from that category. There is a picture of a model of a vehicle, the name of the model, and the words “or similar”. The Citroen C5 is of a similar size and specification to the Mercedes C Class and so is one of the vehicles available in the group booked.

There will be no refund in this instance.

I trust this email now clarifies our position on this matter."

If a Citroen C5 is so similar to a Mercedes C-Class, why does Europcar not include the vehicle in its luxury car range promotions where they feature Audi A4s, the BMW 3-series and the Mercedes C-Class?

I feel this is a con by Europcar to lure customers with the promise of a more expensive car that won't actually be available. Instead the customer is given a cheaper option that Europcar has (I have no doubt) paid much less for. I would be very interested to know how many Citroen C5s Europcar has in comparison to Mercedes C-Class vehicles.

What was most utterly frustrating about my experience was having already wasted an hour of my time, facing the disappointment of not having a car during my time in France due to not wanting to accept what I felt was a con, I then had to waste at least 2-3 hours arguing for a refund that was my legal right under the sale and supply of goods act. Instead all I got was Europcar bureaucratic waffle. It was only when I said I'd take them to court under a small claims procedure that I finally got a full refund.

Europcar have, in my opinion, behaved like a bunch of shysters and I will never, ever use them again.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europcar

Hired a car from Europcar at Malaga Airport in 2013. Returned the car on time and after cleaning it. The return inspection revealed that the spare tyre was flat; we had had no occasion to use it. At home the bill arrived with an additional and unexplained charge for "damages" of Euros 60. No reply from Europcar email address. Took it up with credit card company Santander who got nowhere with it.

Not a lot of money involved; but feel that having a flat spare tyre might be a good way of generating some additional revenue.

Amsterdam, the...
Level Contributor
1 post
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europcar

Europcar is a terrible company. We hired a Premium car one month in advance to be picked up from Lyon airport. The website said Premium meant a Mercedes C200 and listed an Audi A4 and an Audi A4 Berline as an alternative. When we arrived they gave us a Citroen DS5! No upgrade or downgrade possible. Only the excuse that a Citroen DS5 is really comparable to a Mercedes c-class or Audi A4. Completely mad as the DS5 is midsized hatchback! Tried customer service, to no avail. Tried the form on the website 3x, no reaction. Contacted the Lyon desk again only to be told that they were frustrated as well because the mercedes and audis had been sold and all clients with a PDMR class (the official name for Premium) were outraged to get a DS5. But the point is, Europcar knew in advance!! Finally, because of a tweet, I got in contact with Europcar Europe. They contacted Europcar France. But to no avail. They still argued that a Citroen DS5 is equal to a Mercedes and Audi and all I got was an upgrade voucher for Europcar France. The best thing to do is to avoid this company altogether.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France