We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental -in/out of airports or pick up/drop off in cities

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
24 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
car rental -in/out of airports or pick up/drop off in cities

We are renting a car for 4 days from Marrakesh over the Atlas to Fes. We plan to pick up the car after arriving in Marrakesh by CTM bus from Essoauira. I thought is would be easiest to pick up at the downtown hotel site (Avis). And drop off at the Avis hotel site in Fes.

I am now thinking it might be easier and less stressful to pick up and drop off at the airports and arrange transportation to and from there.

Advise or thoughts on this?

Thank you

Paula

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental -in/out of airports or pick up/drop off in cities

Yes, I'd certainly go with that. Try to avoid driving in major towns in the evenings as it's somewhat hectic!

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental -in/out of airports or pick up/drop off in cities

In truth, I've only once hired a car to drive myself in Morocco. On that occasion, on a dark road outside Marrakech, I almost reversed in to a small crater about three feet in diameter and two feet deep. Only chance averted this. The moral of this tale: take Tim's advice about avoiding driving in large towns in the evenings but add to it to avoid driving after dark on small roads when you can't see where you are going! I certainly would think very hard before driving over the Atlas after nightfall.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
24 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental -in/out of airports or pick up/drop off in cities

Thank you Alan and Tim.

We don't plan on driving at night at all. We used to live in Mexico and while maybe not quite as bad, have encountered animals on the road, roads just ending!! etc. So we will be careful.

Do you think it best to get cars from the airports rather than try to drive out of and into Marrakesh and Fes, getting cars from the downtown hotels?

Paula

4. Re: car rental -in/out of airports or pick up/drop off in cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:19