We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to catch Ferry to Spain

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Where to catch Ferry to Spain

Hi everyone,

My partner and I will be in Morocco for a week next April,

Our last night is in Fez and we plan to catch the ferry over to Spain,

Can someone tell me the best place to catch it from/to

i see it leaves from Tangier, Tangier Med and Ceuta

which is fastest or most convenient for us?

we would like to leave morocco late afternoon and pickup a car when we arrive in spain

Any help is much appreciated,

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

I left from Tarifa to Tangier and it was a nice overpass.

you can look here http://www.aferry.com/ferries-to-morocco.htm so you can compare self a little

You write you will be one week in Morocco, where are you landing? One week is not so long time and Morocco is big, so think at that while you plan itinerary.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

Thank you for the reply.

It looks like tangier to tarifa may be best.

We'll be there for 8 days,

Flying into marrakech and then heading over to Fez and finally over to spain

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

How you will travel to Fes, by the train? It is the best, if you have only 8 days and are going then to Tangier.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

we are getting a private driver,

we are all good re logistics etc in Morocco,

I just wanted to know which ferry port to use when leaving Morocco and Arriving in Spain

I wasnt sure if one was more convenient than another etc

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

OK, have a nice trip ☺

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

If you have transport the most convenient might be Tanger Med to Algeciras as it will probably be easier to organise car hire there rather than Tarifa.

Asilah, Morocco
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

Get the ferry from the old terminal in Tangier. It's the "fast" ferry to Tarifa. From there you can take the free bus to Algeciras. FRS, a Spanish company runs the service and can be reached at 0539942612. In good weather, the trip takes 1 hour.

Be aware that if there are strong winds from the east, "shirqi", the boat will probably not sail. Call, but if the phone is busy after many calls, it probably means it's not sailing. To be sure, I usually call the reception desk at Hotel El Minza, 0539 935885. They will have the correct information about ferry sailings and don't seem to mind.

I would avoid Tanger Med. It's 55K from Tangier with a free bus, but not always on schedule. If the seas are rough, you may be stuck in Ksar Sghir where Tanger Med is located but the middle of nowhere, for several hours. Even if the boat leaves on time, it's a 2 1/2 -3 hour trip on top of the hour bus ride to get to Tanger Med.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

Zahra67: It's always a good idea to read what the original poster wrote. Which is that he has his own transport.

And Tanger Med to Algeciras is a fast cat ferry with many more sailings than Tanger Ville to Tarifa. And you avoid the need for a shuttle bus on the Spanish side.

9. Re: Where to catch Ferry to Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16