We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Morocco now?

6 posts
Save Topic
How safe is Morocco now?

My girlfriend and I would really like to take a week trip down to Morocco at the end of December. We like to travel "rough" in that we stay in cheap hostels, take the local buses and eat in the local shops, and try and learn about the culture and the people. I guess we are the typical backpackers. We went all over South America and were told before we left that it was really dangerous but we never had any problems and always felt really safe. Now we want to do Morocco but everyone is telling us even worse things.

Is it really that dangerous? Will she (as a woman) be really threatened? How is it for Westerners? I am not too worried about it but I just want to be sure. The people we know that have gone always went everywhere in private buses and private tours and were scared the whole time. This is not how we travel, nor do we want to be in danger, so we are weighing the option.

ADVICE?! :)

Thanks!!

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

Pierre, pardon me for being blunt, but in Morocco one does not get assaulted for no good reason. Something about your attitude?

Funny how I never find the men (touts or employees) at bus stations particularly annoying or unpleasant. They're just doing their jobs.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

No I was hiking alone on a trail in the hills near Azrou, and 4 young Moroccans armed with knifes were actually waiting there along this trail to attack some hiker..

As for the bus stations, I personally saw once 2 touts actually fighting (seriously) for getting a Moroccan couple on their bus. Of course it does not apply to CTM or Supratours.

I actually enjoy hiking in Morocco but iti isn't a reason to pretend everything is perfect there. I get similar answers to yours actually when I criticize other countries, such as Nepal, that I also like.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

Ok, thanks Pierre, I hear you, and I also believe you.

I'm sorry you had that unfortunate experience while you were hiking near Azrou.

What happened really? Did the young men take your money?

6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

You're right. I have been checking. I felt good about all the comments being said, I just didn't feel an overwhelming need to reply. I trust you guys. I feel like it will be fine! Thanks all for the info! We will start planning it! :)

1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

HI

I was born and raised in morocco, and I recently moved to the united states. I am planing to go to my country to visit soon. I would like to tell go down to morroco to meet one of the friendliest people in the world and you will enjoy the nature, the culture, and the food. Visit Marrakesh, Agadir, and essaouira. That was the south if you like the desert and ocean. Go to Chefchaouen and tetouan and Asl if you like camping in the mountains and waterfalls.

Bouyannahamza1@gmail.com is my email. email me for further information and Hamza Bouyanna is my facebook.

I will be expecting your email.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

Hamza, I know you have good intentions, but it is not safe to leave your email address like that.

London, England...
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

With the terrorist alert being high at the moment (October2014) would you say that you feel like Morocco is still a safe place for foreigners to visit, and possibly driving to Tarfaya ?

London, England...
3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

With the terror alert being raised to "high" in Morocco now (October 2014) would you still say Morocco is a safe place for foreigners to travel to, and would you conisder it safe to drive as far as Tarfaya ?

19. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 11:55
London, England...
3 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: How safe is Morocco now?

Thank you for your reply - that is really far south in the Western Sahara !