We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New $100 Note

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
New $100 Note

Hello,

I have read in the Banks & Money section that when a new "style" of currency is introduced at one's home country, the folks at the currency exchange in Morocco may not always be up to speed and aware of the new style. In October 2013 the $100 USD note was updated and changed relatively dramatically. Has anyone had any experience exchanging this new $100 note, particularly in Marrakech? My wife and I will be arriving on December 23rd, and I would like to make the currency exchange process as simple as possible.

Thank you.

-Greg

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New $100 Note

My suggestion is that you bring older notes and smaller denominations

Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New $100 Note

Absolutely, i wouldn't take $100 notes and i refuse to take 100 Euro notes and £50.00 notes even from banks.

Gimme the 20's.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New $100 Note

So if I'm understanding correctly, I should just bring a few bills in smaller denominations - $20s, and then use ATMs to access cash? I thought bringing an exchanging cash was the simplest way to access cash, particularly since the exchange offices don't charge too much of a mark-up.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New $100 Note

Hi,

Most people nowadays use their debit cards in ATM's rather than exchange cash, a small amount of cash in case of card problems is sensible.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New $100 Note

I still mostly change foreign cash for moroccan dirhams because my bank card only gets me 2000dh per day which is not enough so charges mount up.

Brings 20s and 50s, not 100

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New $100 Note

▬ GREG ▬, you might want to ask your bank NOW what your daily withdrawal limit would be when you use your DEBIT card in Morocco. Also ask about the fee.

My Canadian credit union allows me a once daily withdrawal of $500 and charges a fee of $3 per withdrawal. The last time I made a W/D was on Dec. 3rd, and I got an exchange rate of 7.54 Dirhams/$. As an American you will do better.

I don't understand how some people only manage to take 2000dh, when I have been able to withdraw as much as 4000 Dirhams at one time.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New $100 Note

My daily withdrawal limit is $1000 USD subject to increase at the request of the customer, and there is no charge for foreign withdrawals. They even reimburse any charges by the local bank where you are making the withdrawal. Charles Schwab Bank in the US has very good terms and conditions for traveling abroad. All foreign withdrawals I have previously made were calculated at the exchange rate current as of that day.

I have emailed the riad where we are staying in Marrakech and they have said that exchanging $100 USD notes should not be a problem. I would prefer to bring cash to exchange because we will be leaving Marrakech after three nights to travel to the more rural areas of Morocco before heading to Fes, and I am assuming that we won't have access to ATMs for the 3-4 nights we are in the rural areas.

-Greg

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New $100 Note

I don't know which "rural areas" of Morocco you will be going to, Greg, but some of the small towns do have banks with ATMs. For example, down south at Mirhleft, there is one such bank.

You seem to know what you're doing and I doubt you will have any problems.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New $100 Note

I was in Morocco when we trained their law enforcement agencies on the new currency. I would be really surprised if it wasn't recognized. We sent flyers all over the country to those agencies dealing in money transfer, but especially law enforcement agencies dealing with fake bills.

10. Re: New $100 Note

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18