We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying an abaya

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Buying an abaya

I have a friend who would like me to bring back an abaya from Morocco for her. She wants to give me the money in advance. Any idea how much this will cost?

Thanks!

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying an abaya

The ladies may tell you otherwise, but I've never head them called an "abaya".

If it's the hooded long garment that everyone wears here, especially in cold weather, they are commonly referred to as "jalabiya".

For a man, such a garment can be had for as little as 250 dirhams and as much as 1000 or more depending on quality and decoration. I'd guess that probably prices might be similar for a woman's garment.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying an abaya

I'm sure we're talking about the same thing :) My friend is originally from Mali so maybe they call them something different there.

Thanks for the info.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying an abaya

An abaya, or simply aba, is a cloak worn over other garments. Djellabas are hooded robes worn by men and women. Gandoras are similar but lack the hood. The type and quality of fabric is the main factor in price, whether the item is hand or machine stitched and the amount and quality of the embroidery as David mentions.

4. Re: Buying an abaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19