We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

Daylight saving was only introduced a few years back, initially in a very limited way (i.e. end May to mid August). It has gradually been extended with the end date being pushed back to end September, now almost to the end of October. And the start date has been brought forward to end April.

With 2014, the dates have finally been aligned with Europe (hurrah) with a start date of 30 March and an end date of 26 October. As in previous years there will be a temporary realignment back to winter time during the month of Ramadan (for the sake of those fasting during the day) which is expected to be 20 July through to 20 August.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

Thanks Tim. Let's hope the dates remain fixed this year as they never have in the past!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

Erm, having just checked my diary the Holy month of Ramadan starts June 29th/30th ending on July 29th/30th, with Eid es Seghir on the 29th for most of the Islamic world.. The dates given above are for the year 2012.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

Thanks Tim for information and I am glad you are back ☺

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

I was on the wrong page when I copied in the dates for the mid-summer clock setback. Ramadan itself can be difficult to predict, but the clock change dates are supposed to be 29 June to 29 July.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

In most of the Islamic world perhaps but in my experience usually one day later in Morocco. Hence why I wrote 29th/30th etc.

Clock changes may not necessarily coincide with the expected dates of Ramadan either: the time changes are secular decided by the government in Rabat while the Islamic dates are determined by the religious authorities in Fes.

Also may I please point out that an arbitrary change in clock times makes absolutely no difference to the number of daylight hours - you cannot change the rotation of the planet by resetting timepieces. The whole concept of "daylight saving" is anachronistic and unnecessary. Start your fast earlier and end it earlier, and vice versa, it makes no odds to the number of actual hours which always remain the same. This is true of all countries who practice daylight saving times.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

Ramadan is actually not at all hard to predict as it moves back 11 days every year. The specific starting day is always a day or two either way (especially in Morocco ;-) but the whole month will always be around the calculated dates.

7. Re: Daylight saving / summer time for Morocco in 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20