We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing from Morocco to Spain

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing from Morocco to Spain

Having indulged in a good tour company for my time in Morocco I decided to save some money by sailing across the strait from morocco into southern Spain. I caught a train from Casablanca to Tangir (having had to go back to Casablanca to collect my guitar which the airline had misplaced following my flight from Rio). I arrived in Tangir at night and missed the last ferry.

With no hostel booked I had to wander the old town by the port and ultimately put myself in the hands of a hostel promoter (always a bad idea but your only option sometimes) who took me to a place he said provided a free breakfast, wifi and a terrace. The next morning I found that the "terrace" was a filthy rooftop-come-rubbish dump which was home to 2 goats and a sheep.

I wish I could remember the name of this place so I can advise you not to go there but alas, I don't. The walls were paper-thin and I was thus able to overhear a gentleman next-door negotiating in spanish (which at this point I was feeling very unfortunate for being able to speak) for an 8 euro sex arrangement with a local prostitute. The rest i'll leave to your imagination.

After checking out at the crack of dawn to extricate myself from this hellish experience (only to find the owner smoking up ion the foyer at 6am), i took a taxi to the port and paid for a ferry ticket which included a bus ticket from Tarrifa to Aljazeera in southern Spain. I then took a train to Barcelona. All-in-all it was an incredibly long 2-day trip but at least it makes for a good story, right?

Hope this helps.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,326 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing from Morocco to Spain

It was not only good story, it was funny too and I think you enjoyed and now you have a nice, a little special reminder, out of the ordinary, of your trip, or?

2. Re: Sailing from Morocco to Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:18