We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Satellite SOS

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
499 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Satellite SOS

We lost all BBC programmes tonight; it has apparently moved to the new Astra 2E satellite. what is happening to ITV and SKY? Will we have to track to change Channels?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Satellite SOS

Post your question here:

avforums.com/categories/…

Are you in the UK or Morocco?

Please be very specific if you post on the AV forums, this will help you get get accurate answers more quickly.

:)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Satellite SOS

I take it that you are currently in Morocco. What on-screen error message are you getting - signal weak or no signal? ITV is still operational on Astra and BBC World on Hotbird. Will be contacting my TV/positioner/decoder technician today to diagnose the problem if it is a change of satellite configuration.

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
499 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Satellite SOS

Thanks Guys. I'm in Taroudant. I don't get an error message just a blank screen. A google search turned up some self congratulary news from the BBC that they'd changed satellite. Our satellite techie is out of town till next week. Thank goodness the Danny Boyle is on ITV.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Satellite SOS

This link explains what has happened: http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html. They seem to be updating it on a daily basis. You will see from this that people all over Europe have lost the BBC channels since BBC migrated to Astra 2E

Sadly it looks like ITV and Channel 4 will follow suit and migrate very soon.

Your only hope, until someone finds a solution (Android box?), is to access UK television via the internet on www.filmon.com. This may also be shut down later in the year.

Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Satellite SOS

Your best solution to access British TV is via the internet and with the use of a VPN.

You need to ensure that you have, at the very least a 2Mb connection (if you just want to use Iplayer to download programmes) and i reccomend at least a good 4Mb connection if you want to watch all the BBC, ITV Channel 4 channels live and use iplayer, itvplayer and 4on demand. The better the connection (not just the higher the speed) the better results you will get.

An Android box is not really the best idea, because it has to be jailbroken to do anything noteworthy and when you can access all the essential UK channels in HD via a laptop or desktop computer with a VPN, hooked up to a HD tv with a HDMI Cable......a Android device becomes even less important.

Android devices typically use the XBMC interface, which, is good, and can actually be installed on any Windows device too. Putting XBMC on a laptop or desktop computer produces far superior results than on an Android device because they usually have far superior RAM and processing power than Android devices.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Satellite SOS

We lost all BBC channels here in southern Spain as well. Fortunately our ISP has an inbuilt VPN tunnel so we could watch BBC via iPlayer if the bandwidth (microwave link) will take it.

Filmon isn't working for me with BBC...

Edited: 07 February 2014, 17:48
Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Satellite SOS

Yep, What is actually happening here is that UK broadcasters are switching to a new satellite. The new satellite is more powerful than the previous one and so, in turn has a much smaller footprint. The footprint is essentially the geographic area where it is possible to recieve the signal.

The reason for the change is exactly to prevent people located outside the UK from viewing.

The only way to continue watching via Satellite is to install a much larger dish - possibly up to 3m or 4m diameter may be required, depending upon the location.

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
499 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Satellite SOS

OK. So I need a new television, a new computer, and a box and it still might not work. ( Sometimes the internet is not good enough to Skype) and everything would have to be downloaded and played later. Alternatively I could install Jodrell Bank on the roof and it still may not work.

I could understand if the broadcaster's choice was here or the Orkneys but why would they want to restrict viewing outside Britain. Surely they would want to encourage it as part of a Radio America -like cultural campaign to encourage British cultural values and the international use of english to say nothing of developing a market.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Satellite SOS

I've been reading up elsewhere and it seems you might need a dish of 3m or more. Don't rush into until someone can vouch for this.

Other channels are expected to disappear soon, maybe this coming week. And you can't use iPlayer because you're outside the UK.

One solution (if you have a decent Internet link) is to download Google Chrome web browser, then install ZenMate which fools iPlayer into thinking you are in the UK. Works perfectly for me in southern Spain.

Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Satellite SOS

Tim's been reading up elsewhere that you might need a 3m dish (but chose to ignore that i wrote that here 2 days prior!).

The problem with Zenmate is that it runs in the background all of the time (as a background app), even when you have finished and closed Chrome or firefox. This might suck the life out of your memory, but worth a try.