We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Casablanca to Marrakech

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Casablanca to Marrakech

I am doing a tour that starts in Casablanca, but flights from London seem to be cheaper and quicker to Marrakech.

Is getting a train from Casablanca to Marrakech cheap and easy? I've looked online, but can't find anything definitive. One said you can't prebook, is that right?

thanks!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Casablanca to Marrakech

Website www.oncf.ma for times and prices. you can't book online. You will be able to get a ticket on the day at the station however depending on when you plan to travel first class may be full. I always prefer to travel first class if possible. It's not expensive and it's better than second class.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Casablanca to Marrakech

yes the train is pretty easy - 140dh first class or 90dh second class

you cant book online so can only do it when you arrive - check ONCF.ma for times, they go every 2 hours.

the alternative is the CTM bus which you can book online at CTM.ma

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Casablanca to Marrakech

hi there, we just came back from Morocco and the rail system there is great! We arrived in Casablanca around 9:30 in the morning and were through customs very promptly. Once out of the customs area and you collect your bags, you go out into the arrivals area and there is an info desk where they will direct you down stairs to the train station. You can buy your ticket down stairs and the train is right there. If I recall, the ticket was 130 Dirhams. There are some Exchange bureaus in the area where you collect your bags if you don't have any Dirhams before arriving. We were able to catch one almost right away. BE AWARE! You have to change trains at CASA OASIS, it's a fairly busy lil train station and the trains DO NOT!!!!! stop for long. so be ready to get off!!! The station at Oasis is small and non descript, place to buy a pop or snack and thats it. You have to go under the tracks to the other side and wait for the train going to Marrakech. The trains are very different from the ones we have here in Canada as they have small little rooms that up to 8 people can share, it was clean and ok by me, we bought second class tickets as between the airport and casa oasis we couldn't get first class, but in all honesty??? from what we saw there really wasn't much difference. it was clean. comfortable. Some cars though, were showing more wear and tear, choose your car !!! Once the train pulled up at CAsa Oasis, we could see the some of the other cars with seating arrangements more like what we are used to in Canada. There is a guy that comes around selling coffee, not bad coffee actually! the journey took about 3.5 hrs from casa to Marrakesh. The train station in Marrakesh is pretty cool.... by contrast... the one in Casablanca is awful! once at Marrakesh, there are tons of taxi drivers waiting for you to take you where ever, ask the price from a few of them and then agree on the cost. IF? you are going to be taking the train back to Casablanca, there is an UBER modern tram way right out side the train station that you have to go to one of the little automated ticket kiosks and buy your ticket from, again. I think it was like 10 Dirhams. We used this to go to close to our hotel and then walked a few blocks. enjoy your trip, Morocco is a fascinating country!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Casablanca to Marrakech

Thanks all! Very useful. Seems like it's not going to be too difficult to get to Casablanca.

5. Re: Trains from Casablanca to Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 06:20