We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlas Mountains

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Atlas Mountains

Hello!

My fiancée and I are spending 25 days in Morocco as part of our honeymoon. We like off the beaten path things and are considering a week tour of the Atlas Mountains (anti, high, and middle) starting from RAK, and hitting Todra Gorge and Merzouga on the way. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Should we just rent a car or is there a tour company that could take us around.

All comments/suggestions are welcome!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlas Mountains

HI,

There are many tour companies you could use, check the things to do tab at the top of the page for loads of reviews and recommendations but watch out for posts suddenly appearing on here from touts.

You can easily do this on your own by hiring a car from a reputable agent in Marrakech. A good map will see you through your adventure.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlas Mountains

I recommend hiring a car and doing it yourself

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlas Mountains

+1 for nibrika's suggestion.

Don't be ambitious with distances, get a good map (Reise Know How, National Geographic or Michelin 742) and look for the green-edged roads for scenic routes. Keep off the main roads as much as possible. Consider something more adventurous such as visiting Imilchil in the High Atlas, then coming south through Ait Hani and down the Todra to Tinerhir.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlas Mountains

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure how safe it was to do the drive on our own. We were considering Imilchil, so thanks for throwing that out there. Any other villages we should stop at? Should we book accommodations ahead of time or wing it?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlas Mountains

Oh, I've been driving in Morocco for more than 40 years. Take it nice and slow (so you can look at the scenery) and you'll be fine. When are you going? Easter is peak season, so need to book in some places. Otherwise just wing it.

Photos of Imilchil to Todra section: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Azrou in the Middle Atlas is my favourite place in the north (80km south of Fez), go and visit the monkeys: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Tafraoute and the Ameln Valley in the Anti Atlas are my favourites in the south.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlas Mountains

Thanks! We'll be there in late Aug (yes, I know.. a bit warm) through mid Sept. Will def check out Azrou! Ifrane was also a possibility - thoughts?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlas Mountains

Btw, what do you mean by green-edged roads?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlas Mountains

Tim,

Is there a place between Merzouga and Azrou? It is about a 6 hr drive between the two, so we'd ideally like to break it up and overnight in a town in between.

Thanks!

9. Re: Atlas Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:19