We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

Santee
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

We have 2.5 days in Marrakesh and no time for Rabat, would it make sense to cut it down to 1.5 days in Marrakesh and see Rabat for a day?

Mentioned in this post
Rabat
Rabat
Rabat-Sale-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

Hi,

I think so, I really liked Rabat I've been there a few times and I am visiting again this summer. I have a contact there in Rabat that gave me a personalized tour of the Mausoleum of Muhammad V, Chellah, the casbah and a few other places I can't recall right now. All I know is that we had a fantastic time. If you want me to get you the guys email address let me know. He was fluent in English, Arabic, French, and Spanish.

Mentioned in this post
Rabat
Rabat
Chellah
Chellah
1,206 Reviews
Rabat, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

Frankly Rabat, although the capital,, has the feel of a provincial with only a few worthwhile places to see (unless you are a fan of foreign embassy and government buildings). In only 2.5 days in Marrakech you will only barely have scratched the surface of the city. Just an alternative opinion!

Mentioned in this post
Rabat
Rabat
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

I think Rabat is quite underrated as a tourist city - although it is more know for the modern administrative side of the city, there are some interesting historical sights and the medina is relatively hassle free

However, it takes 4/5 hours each way from Marrakech so with only 2.5days to play with, it is probably not worth spending that much time on the road.

If you want to spend a bit of time outside of Marrakech city then better to consider a daytrip to the nearby Atlas mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Rabat
Rabat
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

A day excursion from Marrakech with only two and a half days in total? Hardy worth visiting Marrakech at all then!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Santee
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

We have 11 days in Morocco. Going from Marrakesh to desert to Fez to Casablanca. We were going to hit Rabat on our way to Casablanca from Fez so there is no added travel time. Change anyone's opinion?

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

Personally, I think too many people come to Marrakech and dont see anything of the countryside and mountains which is a shame - I think a half day excursion is worthwhile in this case, especially since you can do the souks and square in the evening anyway.

If you are seeing Marrakech and Fes anyway then maybe there is not such a big need to see Rabat - although each are interesting in their own right, they are all Imperial Cities with many similarities.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 17:05
Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Rabat
Rabat
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

I wonder how many days you will take on your trip between Marrakech and Fes? Maybe you can prolong your trip with one day. It is right what Nibrika says "... come to Marrakech and dont see anything of the countryside and mountains ... ". Likewise, if you have seen both Marrakech and Fes, it might be enough with cities, specielt if you should even to the Casa?

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Santee
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

Our trip as of now is 2.5 days in Marrakesh, 3 day desert tour, 2 days in Fez, 1.5 days in Casablanca. That is why we were considering taking a day of Marrakesh to see Rabat.

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
Rabat
Rabat
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

It should be better to prolong your desert trip to 4 days, otherwise you will have it stressful a little. Recommend first day to Midelt or there somewhere, second day to Erg Chebbi, thirt day to Todra Gorge or Dades or both, fourth day to Ouarzazate - and you see, actually you need one day more for to come to Marrakech. And the best would be if you can stay in Erg Chebbi 2 nights so you can enjoy sand dunes and there around, it is very interessant there also.

Anyway, 1.5 day in Casa is too much.

Mentioned in this post
Midelt
Midelt
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Erg Chebbi
Erg Chebbi
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rabat or extra day in Marrakesh?

We gave Casablanca a miss. I would spend more time in other places - maybe use that time to go to Rabat instead of cutting your time in Marrakech?

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
Rabat
Rabat
Marrakech
Marrakech