We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Fes to Marrakech ?

Stuttgart, Germany
7 posts
Save Topic
From Fes to Marrakech ?

Hello friends,

We are a family of 3 (a couple and 4 year old daughter) travelling to Fes from Frankfurt on 31st and back from Marrakech on 12th june. In between apart from seeing both the cities we would like to go for an desert trip and a Atlas mountain trip.

These are the two options we thought of:

1)Hiring a car are with a guide and driving from fes through atlas mountain . Spending one night on mountains. Going to Merzouga taking night breaks in between. Staying in the desert for a night.and driving to Marrakech.Visiting Ait Ben Haddou.

Say around 5 days and 4 night trip.

Option 2 ) Taking a day train from Fes to Marrakech. And from Marrakech going for a 3 day desert trip to Zagora. And then one night trip to Atlas.

We are confused..Experts kindly suggest .

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

I would go for option 1 as you have the chance to experience the Middle Atlas mountains as well. And your daughter would love to see the wild monkeys around Azrou.

You need to find a driver who really knows the country (not just the main roads). Ask for a route that goes Fez - Sefrou - Dayat Aoua - Ifrane - Azrou (overnight stop). Day 2 Azrou - monkeys - Ain Leuh - Sources Oum r'Rbia - Khenifra - El Kebab - Imilchil (overnight stop). Day 3 Imilchil - Rich - Merzouga (overnight in desert). Day 4 Merzouga - Todra gorge - Dades Gorge (overnight in Dades Gorge). Day 5 Dades - Ouazazate - Ait Benhaddou - Marrakech.

Link to Monkeys write-up: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

Option 1 seems be good.

But suggested route Imilchil - Rich - Merzouga is too long, I did exactly this route in opposite direction and came to Imilchil when it was almost dark (in April). And to arrive to Erg Chebbi when it is dark is pity even if you not want to take camel trek so it is pity.

If you can drive the car then you can drive self, the roads are good and good signed also.

Stuttgart, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

Thanks a lot Tim for your suggestions. So do you think we need one more extra day in Merzouga to enjoy the sand dunes.

@

Khamlia regarding car drive..not sure though but really will think about it..any ideas how much it costs..as we will take the car at Fes and drop it at Marrakech..can this be possible.

Stuttgart, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

Tim..if you have any contacts regarding the driver please share..it will be really helpful :-)

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

Yes you can pick up the car in Fes and drop it in Marrakech but I don't know how much it can cost when you drop it in other place.

I rented the car now and pay around 16EUR per day plus insurance

Stuttgart, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

@ Khamlia..which company is this ?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

It is rentalcars.com, but the price is of how many days you will rent it.

Actually normally I rent the car from locals but this time I decided me for this because the price is good.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

No suggestions re drivers, I always have my own wheels (car, 4x4, motorbike) and navigate myself. No problems.

Stuttgart, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

Thanks Tim..

Would need experts advice..Got a quotation from a travel agent for the journey as Tim has suggested..only instead on Imilchil..he has offered to stay at Midelt due to some road issues..5 days 4 nights..1070 €...is this Ok??

10. Re: From Fes to Marrakech ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 22:47