We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Kid-friendly itinerary in December.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for Kid-friendly itinerary in December.

I have been researching on the boards for a couple of weeks and came up with this itinerary. But I still have lots of questions. I hope to get some answers from you.

I have 10 full days in Dec (19 -29th) flying from London to Fes with my husband and two kids ages 7 and 10.

My itinerary looks like this.

1. Fes 2 days

2. fes - Essaouira - 4 (or 5) day desert trip

3. Essaurira - 1 night

4.Marrakech - 3 nights.

My questions:

1. Can you recommend which route/place to see on the desert tour - looks like Erg Chebbi

Ouazazate, Merzouga seems to be popular. Could you please recommend anything else that might spark interest for my kids.

2. How are tents kept warm in winters? Looks like extra blankets are the answer? Will be too scary for my city bred kids?

3. I am looking for a mellow itinerary thru small and interesting towns.

4. By not going to Casa and Rabat - am I missing anything? I doubt I will be able to come again Morocco.

4. Should I make Essaouira a night stop or a day trip? Planning to drive there from Marrakech.

5. Medical assistance : from my past experience my kids needs to see a doctor for minor reasons - stomach bug, high fever, ear infections (yes, and I still want to travel with them) so please tell me how are the doctors in Fez, Marrakech? Can I see an English speaking doctor/pediatrician easily? Just want to be prepared.

My kids are great travelers. I want this to be a memorable trip for them. Please suggest something. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Kid-friendly itinerary in December.

Essaouira (and other parts of Morocco) can be cold, windy and even rainy in December - so plan to finish in Marrakech after the 4/5 day desert tour (which have a pretty standard route - Ait Benhaddou might appeal to the kids) and then play it by ear for your last few days depending on the weather.

Yes it is blankets in the tent camps, Im sure your kids will love the experience but I have never been in December so cant speak for the climate at that time of year.

The main thing you miss is the Hassan II Mosque in Casa, it is an impressive building but not worth changing your itinerary. Rabat Medina is nice but since you see the Medinas of Marrakech and Fes then you dont miss much.

For those kind of minor illnesses, you would usually just see a pharmacist rather than doctor in Morocco - whether they speak English or not is just down to luck but in any case your hosts at your accomodation will be able to help you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Kid-friendly itinerary in December.

Thank you so much. Will keep Essaouira for the last .

I know this may not be the best time to go to Morocco. But only time I can go. It has been a childhood dream to go to Morocco. One thing off the list.

Have a wonderful day.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Kid-friendly itinerary in December.

2. fes - Essaouira - 4 (or 5) day desert trip - take more days for this trip, even 5 days will be rushing. It is big distance between those places.

But Nibrika have good suggestion to finish your trip in Marrakech and then you will see how it is with your time, because you have only 10 days and it would be pity to have hurry.

In Casablanca you not miss much, maybe mosque is impressive but ... Rabat would be more interesting, but you have only 10 days.

Regarding medical assistance, in farmacy they have good knowledge and if you would need more help, there in every city even smaller city are something like health center.

4. Re: Looking for Kid-friendly itinerary in December.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17