We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Oriental Desert Express

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
The Oriental Desert Express

Hi

I have been trying to find out information about the Oriental Desert Express that runs from Oujda to Bouarfa in Morocco. The Moroccan tourism board have a little bit of information about it on their website (and I have emailed them about it but not heard anything back as of yet) but I can't find a website for it. Can anyone help please.

Moroccan Sahara
Ancient Ruins, Deserts
Sahara Tours International
Deserts, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Oriental Desert Express

Is this the one you mean?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/2073002

Love the photograph - looks like a ghost town in the American midwest, overgrown railtrack, a fence and some building that may or may not be an abandoned agadir (granary)!

Edited: 20 June 2014, 10:57
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Oriental Desert Express

Hi there

Yes that is the one. Your right it does look like a ghost town in the photo (just needs some tumble weeds rolling by). I haven't been able to find out if the train trip is still operating. The only mention of it I can find with actual information is from a Moroccan travel company called Supratravel but it is part of an 11 day tour package.

Have you heard anything about this train at all?

Thanks

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,831 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Oriental Desert Express

I've seen the track, the network used to extend much further. You can get a lot of information by googling 'Bouarfa Oudja train', for example, iom-voyages.com/docs/2011-circuit-traindudes…

Didn't see any mention of prices, and it's not on the main ONCF website. Rough Guide says there aren't any passenger services any more between Oujda and Bouarfa, but I wouldn't take that as fact.

Take a look at the thread on Lonely Planet that I contributed to in 2010: https:/…oriental-desert-express

Mentioned in this post
ONCF
ONCF
72 Reviews
Morocco
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Oriental Desert Express

Thanks Tim

I will have a look

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,613 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Oriental Desert Express

Here you find one other information about, it is anyway very touristy I suppose. I was looking at that and if it was for normal people so It could be funny. But it is for the tourists so ... too much touristy and expensive also.

supratravel.com/en/trips/details-30-Train-du…

6. Re: The Oriental Desert Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:17