We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
118 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

Firstly - please forgive me as I have looked through the forum and I can see you are inundated with queries about trips to the desert!

However, I am trying to plan my trip to Morocco (which is sadly only one week long) and somehow fit in the key sights that I want to see. Unfortunately I think that will mean cutting out Chefchaouen, but I would love to spend a night in the Sahara. I have looked at short excursions leaving from Marrakech and have seen a fairly basic (i.e. not luxurious hotels or anything) 2-night trip that incorporates one night in Ourzazate and one night at a M'hamid desert camp, but it is £327 / $550. That is nearly double what our flights are costing us, for just 2 nights! Is that the price we can expect to pay or are their cheaper options out there? If worst comes to worst we will just do a cheaper one night desert camp near Zagora instead but I know that is not considered the real Sahara.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

Do you want to do 2 nights desert trip from Marrakech? And one night stay in Ouarzazate, next in M'Hamid in the desert camp (right in M'Hamid or Erg Chigaga?) and next day back the whole way in one day to Marrakech?

For the first, it is very rushing, for the second the price is very high, I think.

Cheaper option is to go by bus, then in M'Hamid go to some accommodation for to arrange the trip by 4x4 to Erg Chigaga.

Or near Zagora - there is very small sand dunes Tinfou so there you can stay over in the camp also.

And for less rushing trip, take at least 3 nights for that.

2. Re: Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 14:31
Edited: 05 August 2014, 14:31
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

Thank you for your replies. As much as I'd like to make a less rushed trip, it is impossible. We have lots of family friends to visit in Morocco and I would rather go to the desert briefly than not at all.

The prices you mentioned sound a lot more reasonable MoroccoBacker, although it is a 3 day trip, 2 nights - not like a 2 day trip like you posted. I would really appreciate it if you could recommend any actual companies that we could do that tour with as I would feel alot more comfortable having it booked before departing for Morocco.

New Brunswick, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

Does anyone have price/tour company recommendations for the OP. I am also looking for a 3 day 2 night trip from fes to marrakech via desert. Currently i got quoted 300 eur per person.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 21:16
London
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

Budget trips to the Sahara depart daily from Marrakech 3 days/2 nights with about 9 hrs in a bus travelling each day and can be bought online or from agencies in the medina for around €100 per person. Basic accommodation, driver may not necessarily speak English and you'll spend about an hour picking up people from different hotels in Marrakech before you get started. You get what you pay for in the end. Cars and fuel are not cheap in Morocco and given the distances involved in getting to the Sahara (from Fes or Marrakech) and crossing the High Atlas Mountains a €300 per person trip sounds like very good value (if it is a 4x4 journey). Good luck with the desert tour.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

A private car and driver/guide costs around €125 per day then you pay for your own accommodation and meals.

A private organised tour of 3 days/2 nights to M'hamid including hotels, nice car, guide, breakfast and dinner would be somewhere between €500 - €600 per couple.

Yes, you can get dirt cheap trips but travelling in the back of a van for 10 hours is really not worth it. Plus you need to check what the desert camp is actually like and whether it suits your needs. Camp facilities vary from a mat on the floor in a dorm-style tent (with no toilets) to a luxury camp with bed, flush toilet and shower in a private tent!

Personally, I'd spend the extra money, add another day and do Marrakech - Erg Chebbi. I don't find Zagora even remotely comparable to Erg Chebbi but if you do go down that way, try and stop at Tamegroute with its incredible library, shrine and labyrinthine medina.

(And yes, I KNOW Erg Chebbi isn't the "real" sahara either - before arguments start. I just think the dunes are much more awe-inspiring there)

7. Re: Is this the expected price of short Sahara excursion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20