We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Morocco in September.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Morocco in September.

Hi everyone

I have been enjoying reading all the forums about Morocco and have a few questions I need help with.

My husband and I are going for 2 1/2 - 3 weeks in September (we are flexible time wise).

We plan to fly to Marrakesh, spend a few days there then hire a car and make our way to Chefchaouen, I'm not sure where we will fly back from yet. We enjoy wonderful scenery and learning something of the culture of the country we are visiting.

This is what I've been thinking of doing, please can you tell me if it sounds reasonable

-Marrakesh for 3 days.

-Todra and Dades Gorges, I've looked on google maps and read reviews but can't work out the best way to see the gorges and carry on to Imilchil.

Is the best way to drive to the Todra Gorge, have a look then stay the night in Tinghir, is that possible in a day from Marrakesh? The next day back-track to Boulmalne Dades and go up the Dades Gorge to Imilchil? The Dades Gorge looks a tortuous route and slow going so would it be best to stay somewhere en route to Imichil?

Is this possible in a car or is a 4x4 required? We are experienced 4x4 drivers so that's not a problem.

- Azrou (after reading it's one of Tim Cullis's favourite places in Morocco) and spend time there looking at the surrounding area. Advice on the best route to Azrou from Imilchil would be great.

-Fez for a few days with days trips to Volubulis, Moulay Idriss and a cooking class.

-Chefchaouen wasn't on my list of places to go but I see a lot of people recommend going there so I thought we could spend a day there..

- London from the nearest city to Chefchaouen that flies there.

Many thanks

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

Crossing the High Atlas will take four hours or more, so driving from Marrakech to the Todra Gorge in one day is juuuust about doable, but you would miss seeing things on the way such as Ait Benhaddou and the Dades Gorge. Instead I would suggest you go Marrakech - Tizi n'Tichka - Telouet Kasbah (visit) - Ait Benhaddou (visit) - Ouarzazate and then stop overnight at Kasbah Itran at El Kelaa M'Gouna. If you want to stop early there's hotels at Ait Benhaddou (good for evening/morning photography), Ouarzazate or Skoura Oasis.

(Some of my write-ups are going in the opposite direction to you)

Tichka pass: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Telouet section (now all tarmac): morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Kasbah Itran: http://www.kasbahitran.com/

The next day spend two or three hours driving north up the Dades Gorge and then returning to the main road (there's no viable onwards route for hire cars). Then across to Tinerhir and north up the Todra Gorge. Continue past the narrow chock-point where most tourists turn around and continue past Ait Hani, Agoudal to Imilchil (lots of accommodation options). If you want to stop early there's lots of accommodation in Tamtattouchte.

Dades Gorge: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Todra Gorge: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

From Imilchil continue north to eventually join the N8 to Khenifra. You could continue on the N8 to Azrou but I would turn right at the roundabout and head east for 25km into the cedar forests, then turn left (north) signposted Aguelmane Azigza and then continue on to stop at Sources Oum er Rbia, then continue north to Ain Leuh and on to Azrou.

Have a look at post 8 (day 4) at https:/… for a detailed write-up of the Khenifra to Azrou section.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 11:44
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

Missed your note about going up the Dades in a 4x4. Yes, this is definitely a 4x4 route. If you visit the Todra first, there's a link between Tamtattouchte in the Todra and M'semrir in the Dades. This has been re-engineered in recent years and is likely to be passable so long as there hasn't been recent heavy rain, see morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

From M'semrir you can head north over Tizi n'Ouarno to Agoudal and then on to Imilchil, see morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

You're a legend.

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

We won't do the 4x4 drive between the Todra and Dades unless we can find a hire car company that will let us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

I have been finalising our itinerary, does it sound reasonable?

Is it necessary to prebook accommodation in small towns such as Khenifra, Todra Gorge and Azrou or can we find something when we get there?

At present we are going to fly to Marrakesh and stay for 4 nights.

From there we will head for Dades/Todra gorge via Telouet/Ait Ben Haddou and stay for 1 night at either of these places en route.

Dades/Todra Gorge staying 2 nights, is this too long?

1 night in Khenifra on our way to Azrou.

3 nights in Azrou

4 nights in Fez

2 nights in Chefchaouen

1 night in Casablanca before flying out.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

The only place I precook normally is Marrakech. There's plenty of choice at Ait Bendaddou and up the Dades Gorge. In the Todra there's Yasmina and Les Roches at the narrow section or Auberge le Festival 7km further up (my preference). The only hotel I've used in Khenifra is the rather soul-less Zayanne but it's big with lots of rooms. In Azrou you would probably prefer Hotel Panorama. Fez and Chefchaouen lots of choices.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

I have just read on TA about Auberge la Forestiere between Azrou and Midelt that sounds OK.

Is it too far to go from Todra Gorge to Khenifra in one day?

many thanks.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

It is about 300km so you can stay over in Imilchil where it is interesting also. It is very nice along the road so it would be pity to only drive without stop.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

If you have nearly three weeks of time, I truly think you are missing out if you don't overnight in the Sahara's Erg Chebbi dunes. There are many desert camping companies that operate out of Merzouga. Our desert trip was the highlight of Morocco for us. If you are going to the Dades Gorge it's only about 3-4 hours from Merzouga. Merzouga to Fez is 7 hours, but it is a really interesting drive, and you could stop and see things or stay overnight along the way. I see you have 4 nights planned in bith Fes and Marrakech. I would definitely take 1 night from Fes, personally I think even two nights in Fes is fine. I would also take a night or two out of Marakech. Marrakech is a city, not just a medina. If you like ctiy life, then you will probaby make use of that much time there. If you miss seeing the desert, you are missing out on something spectacular. Just my opinion.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

Thanks for your comments and advice, it's very much appreciated.

We had planned to do day trips out of Fez and Marrakesh which is why we are planning to spend a few days in each city. My husband and I travel a lot and previously often moved somewhere new every couple of days. This time we thought it would be more relaxing to have a base for a few days and explore the surrounding area.

Regarding the desert, we have travelled through and stayed in many deserts in Australia and spent a month in Namibia so going to the desert wasn't high on our list of things to do. I realise that all deserts are different but Morocco seems to have so much to see we thought we would concentrate on some of the other areas this time.

B.C. canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Morocco in September.

We just got back from a 3 week trip to Morocco. We did a loop form Casablanca to Tangier by train, then onto Chef. Then we went to Fez and hired a driver to the desert and up through hight atlas for 4 days. Then onto Marrakech. We ended with a few nights in Essaouira. If you have any questions pm me. Definitely would recomend Chef. We loved it. a couple nights is good though.