We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route from Marrakech - Essaouira

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
118 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic route from Marrakech - Essaouira

We will be driving from Marrakech to Essaouira in August. Google maps suggests the best way is to drive from N8 to Chichaoua, then follow the R207 the rest of the way. I know there is not much to see on the way to Essaouira besides Argan Oil co-ops, but is this the best general route, or is there one which affords a slightly better view?

Morocco
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic route from Marrakech - Essaouira

There is only one route, unless you want to go a bit more quickly, in which case you can take the "autoroute" to Chichaoua (I don't offhand know the route numbers). If not, the regular route which leaves Marrakech by passing the train station and then the Supratour station (called "Route à Essaouira", I think) is straight and in good condition and has a variety of landscape to observe, as you leave behind the mountains and desert-like terrain through various farmlands and on to the sea. It takes about 2.5 hours without a stop, and there are tourist-friendly cafés along the way.

I wouldn't drive in the afternoon if it's still Ramadan because people are not as clear-headed and often rush to get home for the fast-breaking meal with the family, so accident rates rise at that time.

AND please note that a large majority of the argan "co-operatives" are not worker-owned, as one might think. They are management-owned, so profits go to the managers, not to the women who do the work.

Enjoy! Essaouira will be a breath of fresh and cooler air after Marrakech!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic route from Marrakech - Essaouira

Couldn't agree more about the "cooperatives" scam. See saadiaorganics.com/argan-oil-co-ops-in-moroc…

And once they start to mislead you about this, I don't think you can trust what you buy is undiluted with other oils. I would only purchase argan oil from a pharmacy.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic route from Marrakech - Essaouira

Thank you very much for the helpful tips!

4. Re: Most scenic route from Marrakech - Essaouira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17