We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moroccan music recommendations?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moroccan music recommendations?

Hello! My husband, daughter and myself are hiring a car and driving around Morocco for about 3 1/2 weeks in September.

I'd like to put some music together to listen to on our road trip and wondered if any Moroccan locals/ex-pats/visitors could recommend some great local music. We are interested in traditional, contemporary and - for our 6 year old daughter - current Moroccan pop music!

Thanks!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

Try and get hold of some 'gnawa' and 'chaabi' music - search on youtube and you can find various examples

2 bands I like are Gnawa Diffusion and Tinariwen. In fact neither are Moroccan (Algeria / Mali) but they are popular here and have the familiar sound of the Sahara region.

Some links to a music festival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiJFVCM7hb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ0rwZHAedU

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

Hi Nibrika - thanks so much for your reply! I'm now listening to Tinariwen's 2014 album on Spotify :) - sounds like great road trip music! And a very interesting background to the band too - they even came to New Zealand a couple of years ago.

Are there any Moroccan pop stars that our young daughter might like?

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
499 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

Amina Alaoui sings traditional/historical songs from the time of Al Andalus.

Passamezzo collaborate with the Essaouira Sufic choir to blend the Lords Prayer with the Azan call to prayer and other 17th century music and settings of arabic poets of the golden age.

Justin Adams ,a western artist, collaborates with a griot , Judah Camara (actually from Gambia) on his Desert Road album inspired by Tafroute and on Soul Science.

England, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

Nass El Ghiwane are a very famous Moroccan group which started in the 1970s, their music is still popular today.

England, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

Nass El Ghiwane are a very famous Moroccan group which started in the 1970s, their music is still popular today.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

Hi,

http://www.listenarabic.com/Music+Morocco/

should give you a few current stars to look out for.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

The radio stations around Morocco offer a lot of local flavour. They seem to play a good mix of modern, classic and folksy Moroccan music which changes from region to region, but they also play current European chart toppers too especially when near the big cities, where anything with a good beat seems popular.

I like to go to a local shop and ask for a CD of what’s popular right now, but it usually ends up being slushy Moroccan ballads with way too much auto tune!

8. Re: Moroccan music recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:15