We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

NYC
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

My husband and I are planning a 12 day trip to Morocco in late December/early January. We have decided to do this with a private guide/driver and our itinerary is pretty much set. It includes:

Casablanc

Essaouira

Marrakesh

Telouet

Ait Ben Haddou

Ourzazate

Dades Gorge and Todra Gorge (including a day hiking)

Merzouga Erg Chebbi Midelt

Fes

Menknes Volubilis

Chefchaouen

back to Casablanca

The trip will include some hiking in Todra Gorge and a free day in Chefchaoen that we will probably use to hike. We will expire Fes and Marrakesh with a guide, one day each.

The question is this:

We have one day unplanned. We are debating between a free day in Marrakesh (we already have one complete day planned, with a local guide) OR an additional day in the desert *we already have 2 days Erfoud, Rissani, Merzouga, Erg Chebbi, Ziz Valley).

What do people think? Is it possible to see Marrakesh thoroughly in one full walk-until-you-drop day, or should we have another free day in Marrakesh to explore? We are not shoppers - but would love to really see the city well.

Alternatively, is there a lot more that we would get froman extra day in the desert? Our guide company is proposing Ksar Oulad Abdelhalim, seeing men wearing the indigo blue robes distinctive of the Saharan people, visit the Khamlia village to listen the Gnaoua music.

I can't decide! Would love some advice for a firs-time visitor wanting to have the richest, most diverse experience possible.

Thanks so much.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,594 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

Hi,

You can't possibly experience all that Marrakech has to offer in a day. Most people take at least 3 days to settle in and get used to the city. You have such a set schedule you can't do this so please at least take the extra day in Marrakech.

NYC
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

thanks, that's basically what I was thinking too....

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

I think your itinerary is far too rushed, too many places in too few days - I recommend slowing down, cutting out some destinations and taking time to enjoy rather than spending so much of your time on the road

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

Extra day in Marrakech for sure. While I always find the desert area of Morocco fascinating, once you've ridden the camels and stayed overnight in the Erg...what else is there to do? I would do the extra day in Marrakech. I also agree that you have got a LOT packed into the time. I just never enjoy spending most of the time on the road between sites when you could cut some places and really get to know and appreciate a specific place. Do the extra day in Marrakech and then be prepared to do a lot of riding around in a car.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,713 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

Far too rushed. When are you actually going to experience Morocco. Your memories will be the pounding of hot tarmac.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,335 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

Like all other even I say, too much to do, you have to skip something. I was looking and counting how many kilometers total it would be, a little more than 2100 approx. You have 12 days so you would need move every day, think at that you cannot travel fast in Morocco, you will also see and enjoy Morocco, or?

7. Re: extra day in Marrakesh or in Desert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:16