We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

Reading, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

Hi,

I'll be travelling to Morocco for a month soon and am a vegetarian. I was wondering if anybody knows if the cheeses are vegetarian in general? I know in Europe a lot of cheeses contain animal rennet which is why I'm asking. I'll inevitably want pizza at some point, would that cheese be vegetarian? What about supermarket cheeses? Or traditional homemade ones? Any information on the topic would be very useful as I can't find much at all online.

Thanks!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

Not a lot of cheese in Morocco. Traditionally, Moroccans tend to drizzle olive oil on bread rather than use butter, probably due in part to lack of refrigeration, but also to a lingering lactose intolerance.

'Le Vache Qui Rit' (Laughing Cow cheese) is popular as it is a mix of comté cheese, cream and milk, that can last without cooling for some time.

Can you get vegetarian cheese? I doubt it.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

Hi,

Your best bet for a wide variety of cheeses is a supermarket, Carrefour, Marjane or Acima are the main ones and they will have lots of French and Dutch cheeses. Vegetarian? No idea I'm afraid and watch out when you order a "vegetarian" pizza as for some strange reason many cafes think it is ok to include chicken!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

Up in Rif in the north they produce some excellent cheese (jben) that is fresh, young and totally delicious. Here’s a passage from a recipe for making which suggests locally made stuff is possibly rennet free:

“As with other fresh cheeses, jben is quite easy to prepare. Either goat or cow milk may be used. Although I've found some recipes which use liquid rennet as a coagulator, lben, or buttermilk, is the preferred modern home method. A little lemon juice or vinegar may also be added, but it's not necessary.”

This local cheese is one of my personal highlights of a trip to Morocco. This, served with local honey, fresh bread and salad veg, is the best lunch in Chefchaouen!

Edited: 11 July 2014, 16:24
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

Ryannah, you may find the Moroccan version of Pizza quite disappointing. The crust is not what you may expect. They can be delicious, but just not what you would find at home. If you order a "large" pizza be prepared for something about plate size, at least that has been my experience.

Reading, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

Thank you so much for your responses! I guess I'll see how it goes knowing what I know now and will learn some Arabic phrases to ask vegetarian-related questions. Thanks again everyone!

6. Re: Vegetarians and cheese in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16