We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Itinerary Planning

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Itinerary Planning

I'm looking for some advice for a two week circular driving trip starting and ending in Marrakech over Xmas/New Year. Probably along the lines of west to Essaouira, one or two stops down the coast to Sidi Ifni - then inland for a dessert stop and then back to Marrakech.

Firstly, is it going to be too cold for an overnight dessert trip? Secondly, is this provisional route ok in terms of driving hours (we will have a 3 yr old child on board) and wanting to avoid any tricky driving and snow trapped passes?

1. Re: Winter Itinerary Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 12:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Itinerary Planning

Not sure why the post was removed - it had some useful content. Anyone else?

I'm aware night time temperatures may be in single digits - would we need to bring sleeping bags or would the dessert trips provide appropriate bedding?

We are aiming to stick to the south for the best of the (daytime) weather - hence our route plan.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Itinerary Planning

In terms of driving hours the route is fine for a 2 week trip, I dont have personally experience of the route to Merzouga from Sidi Infi but dont know of any passes that might be blocked by snow

It can however be very cold at night (and not just in the desert either), although the temperatures might not seem too bad (average of 8 to 10degrees), it does often feel a lot colder due to the lack of humidity and places dont have central heating so more layers of clothing and extra blankets (which should be available at your accomodation) are usually the only option in the desert - so you have to think about whether your child will be able to handle it.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 14:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Itinerary Planning

Thanks Nibrika, we'll be coming from the UK so will have our winter layers with us. Its just the desert camping bit I'm not sure about. I'd rather not have to buy/pack sleeping bags just for one night.

5. Re: Winter Itinerary Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16