We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

Our children will be 11 and 12 in mid March 2015 and we have 9 nights - arrive in Marrakech at 2.30 on a Friday afternoon and depart Marrakech at 3.20 the following Sunday.

We would like to spend some time in Marrakech, in Essaouira, visit Fez(even half-day)/Volubis, Chefchaouen, and travel to the desert and spend the night in a tent. I know it's a lot of distance to cover, so would be grateful of any suggestions - best places, travel routes, tour companies, notable sites around/between these locations. Also best range of clothes to take for winter and the different environments. Thanks!!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

As you say, it's too much distance, especially when you don't know how you will travel.

Take clothes that can be combined in layers, including (1) lightweight water/windproof outer jacket (2) hat, (3) gloves.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

Thanks for your suggestions. We are going to be in 4x4 with a driver/guide. The tour cpany suggested going on from chefchouaen to tangiers and taking overnight train to Marrakech to save travel time. Is this comfy? Cold in winter? And is car trip to tangiers good/any suggested stops?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

In my opinion you not need have 4x4, it is unecessary since you want not go off road. But all main roads and even smaller are paved.

9 nights is not so much and you want to see much. I suggest you to take the map and look where are all places you want to visit. Thereafter decide where to go. Best to not chose places who are far of eachother, the travel in Morocco goes quite slowly.

If you go in Winter it can be probably better also to hold you a little to south there it will be more nice weather.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

you cant see all the places you mention in 9 nights - well not in any way that will be enjoyable anyway, especially with kids in toe. Cut down your itinerary and spend more time in fewer places rather than so much time in a car.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

Thanks. That seems to be the consensus. See less, go slower. It's just hard to give up chefchouaen!!!

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

It would seem that you have the perfect excuse to come back again!

:)

7. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 17:35
8. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

9. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 nights in Morocco - family trip ideas

I'd be very grateful if the member of "the Tripadvisor community" who reported my post #9 (now deleted), "Is this a duck I see before me?" as "inappropriate" would send me a private message to explain. I do not understand and might otherwise make the same mistake again.