We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best plan a self-drive trip in December?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
202 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best plan a self-drive trip in December?

We are a couple visiting Morocco in mid-December for 10days/9 nights. After much browsing of tips on here and elsewhere we have decided on three key destinations: Marrakech, Fez and Erg Chebbi. We had initially thought of doing a 2 or 3 night tour between Marrakech and Fez but the costs seem relatively high for what you get (stuck in a van all day) and we hate tours. We've decided that a self-drive trip between Marrakech and Fez is best for us, meaning we can take things at our own pace, stopping off where we want and trying to get beyond the usual tourist hot spots.

We're trying to put together some rough plan which at the moment looks like...

Day 1: Arr Marrakech 10am, pickup car from airport and drive to Fez. Ev

Days 2: Fez

Days 3-6: Self drive from Fez to Marrakech, stopping off en-route as we wish and including one night in the dessert at Erg Chebbi.

Days 7-8: Marrakech

Day 9: Dep Marrakech early evening

Does this seem a realistic plan? Feel free to suggest changing the order etc. Do we need to pre-book accommodation or can we book as we go? I've read December is tourist season so maybe we should pre-book. There is only one driver, so we're hoping to break the driving up into manageable chunks.

I've also heard that Essaouira is a nice place to visit (preferably with an overnight stop). Is there anyway to fit this in? Everyone seems to comment that the draw is that it is a "very chilled out place"...what does this actually mean in terms of being a visitor!? What is there to do/see/experience? If by this people mean it's a great place to stop, read a book and enjoy the view over a nice meal and a drink then fine, but I'd like to know either way!?

Cheers for the help, JB

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Erg Chebbi
Erg Chebbi
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Essaouira
Essaouira
Provincial Tourism Guide Association of Tangier
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Aventura por Marruecos
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours
Rough Morocco
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, City Tours
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best plan a self-drive trip in December?

Self drive is a good plan - although Im not sure it is a good idea to arrive and drive straight to Fes. Ideally you fly into one and out the other. If not then I would spend first and last nights in Marrakech

You dont really have time for Essaouira, Decemeber is not the best time to visit that part of the coast anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Essaouira
Essaouira
Birmingham
Level Contributor
202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best plan a self-drive trip in December?

Unfortunately are flights are stuck.

Why would you not recomend it? We're on a short haul flight from the UK so tiredness won't be a factor. Assuming a departure at 11, an 8 hour drive would get us into Fez at a reasonable time. My thinking is that id rather do the drive on a day where I've already lost a morning to travelling, than taking up another day.

3. Re: Best plan a self-drive trip in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:15