We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book overseas flights separately from short ones?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
434 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Book overseas flights separately from short ones?

You who fly a lot will probably know the answer. I am planning a trip that will have probably 5 flights over the space of a month, only the first and last being long haul overseas flights from the US to Europe and back home again. (Chicago to Casablanca via Madrid, Marrakech to Malaga, Malaga to Madrid, Madrid to Chicago.)

Is it better to book the overseas flights separately from the short flights? When I plug all destinations and dates into KAYAK or Expedia in a multi-destination itinerary, I am being shown choices more limited than what I know is out there. When I looked up the short flights individually, I tentatively picked ones I liked for times, prices, and layovers. Yet those don’t show up in the multi-stop itinerary.

The multi-stop itinerary is all the same carrier (Iberia, in this case). Is that why? Whereas the short flights I chose initially were smaller airlines.

If flights are not connected, or even close to the same date, why would the sites pick the same carrier? I could see it if you had a flight with a layover in an intermediate city, it would make sense for both flights to be on the same carrier, but why, if they are not connected?

Is there any cost savings for booking them all in one itinerary, even if that means having a have a flight with times/layovers I don’t prefer? Thanks for any help you can offer to demystify this process!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book overseas flights separately from short ones?

the booking engines do usually default to one or 2 partner airlines for multistop trips - it does give you more protection if anything goes wrong and you miss a flight but often comes at a cost.

I would usually book the long haul and then go for budget flights seperately on the short haul, but only if I have buffer days between different legs of the journey to avoid any risk of missed connections.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
434 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book overseas flights separately from short ones?

Thank you! Yes, the short flights are stand-alone and don't connect to anything else.

3. Re: Book overseas flights separately from short ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 07:15