We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary and desert tour: November

BEDFORD
Level Contributor
271 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary and desert tour: November

Never have been to Morocco before and we're looking forward to art, craft, food, culture, music, history, natural beauty. (In other words, everything except shopping and lying on the beach.) We have fifteen days late Oct. to November--arriving and departing Casablanca. We're thinking (in no order as yet) about 3 days in Fes, 3 in Marrakech, a guided desert tour with one night sleeping in the desert. I would appreciate your opinion about what towns, if any, to add, or whether to stay longer in Fes and Marrakech. What about Meknes and Volubis, Chefchaouen, Essaouira? Should we visit the desert from Fes or Marrakech? In what order should we travel without backtracking a lot. (We'll take public transportation for most travel; a guide and car when we need to.)

I very much appreciate your ideas about this. Thanks.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary and desert tour: November

You have some great ideas for your visit. You ask which towns you might add but I think the experience you are missing from your itinerary is some time in the Atlas Mountains. In late October or November you are quite likely to find rain and even snow on the High Atlas which might restrict you to lower level routes. On the other hand, this is an excellent time of year to visit Jebel Sarhro, Jebel Sirwa and the Anti-Atlas Mountains which offer fantastic trekking opportunities. You mention that you are interested in natural beauty: I'd be very surprised if you didn't enjoy a few days in the mountains.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary and desert tour: November

I recommend you to buy one guidebook if you note have it yet and study. There you find more suggestion for your trip. 15 days are good time to travel in Morocco and visit interesting places. Think at that travel is going slowly, especially if you want use public transport.

By buses a trains also you reach most of places you mention - look at www.oncf.ma and www.ctm.ma - it is good buses and train also.

Trip through the desert will take minimum 4 days but if you can have more days, it will be better. In that case you can even take trip over Sarhrou mountain on the way from Erg Chebbi towards Marrakech.

Anti Atlas is very nice also so if you look at Tafraoute, you will not regret. This can be a bit trickier to do by public transport, maybe shared taxi.

If you can rent a car it would be best, it is easy to drive in Morocco and if you have a good map, you can manage it self also.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary and desert tour: November

P.S. I want to correct me, it is CTM bus going from Marrakech to Tafraoute, if you decide to ...

BEDFORD
Level Contributor
271 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary and desert tour: November

Thanks for your thoughts. Of course, I have guidebooks, but I'm looking for strong opinion more than straight information. A couple more questions please:

Where in the mountains (what areas or altitude) could we expect clear weather and no snow in the beginning of November?

Also, we're in our 60's so, while we are healthy and relatively active, there will be no five day hikes (or even one day hikes) up the Sarhro mountain. We're more apt to do a relatively level, beautiful, 6 km walk and return to our inn for a drink on the roof.

We won't be driving ourselves, so can you tell me how far we can easily and directly go into the mountains from Fes by public transportation? We would hire a guide/driver when public transportation gets slow and complicated to continue on to Marrakech.

Thanks to all for your reply.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary and desert tour: November

You can go to Azrou, near Fes and there you can take your 6 km long trek with wild monkeys in the cedar forest

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary and desert tour: November

I'm afraid that there is a big risk of snow anywhere in the High Atlas Mountains in November. You could still enjoy a low-level walk there, however, and be able to return to your inn for a well-earned drink!

As for Sarhro, please don't get the idea that the whole of this region is terribly high. There is a lot of low-level walking to be enjoyed in Sarhro, although you are right that it is more difficult to organise short treks.

7. Re: itinerary and desert tour: November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:17