We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Morocco - Early November

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Morocco - Early November

Hi guy,

I looking for some advise on my first trip to Morocco. We are a young couple spending 11days in Morocco. We plan to stay in Medina, Marrakech for a few days. Planning an over night camp in either Atlas or Sahara (suggestions welcome).

The final leg is to go to the coast. I would like to do some surfing and was considering Taghazout but other than surfing the area might be a bit quiet for us. I have heard about Essaouira and Saidia and would be very interested in peoples experiences here or anywhere else along the coast. Ideally we would like to surf for a day or two the other two days explore and in the evenings dinner and bars (if there are many!).

We (me & my girlfriend) will land

Fri 31 oct - Marrakech (evening flight)

Sat 1 Nov - Marrakech

Sun 2 Nov- Marrakech

Mon 3 Nov - Atlas hike or Sahara trek

Tue 4 Nov - Atlas hike or Sahara trek

Wed 5 Nov - ??

Thur 6 Nov - ??

Fri 7 Nov - ??

Sat 8 Nov - ??

Sun 9 Nov- Marrakech

Mon 10 Nov- Marrakech (midday flight)

Mentioned in this post
Medina
Medina
975 Reviews
Chefchaouen, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Essaouira
Essaouira
Saidia
Saidia
Oriental Region, Morocco
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
1,178 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
Blue Morocco surf school
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Saysay Watersports
Surf Globe School
Ain Diab Surf School
Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Morocco - Early November

There are so many trekking possibilities from Marrakech as the High Atlas Mountains are so close. However, in November, there is a high chance of rain and snow at altitude and you might well be restricted to low level routes unless you are experienced in using ice axes and crampons. Of course, it will be very cold at night even staying in gites and mountain refuges. I don't mean to put you off - the low level routes can be very beautiful, particularly if there has been a snow fall on the higher mountains.

You might consider organising your trek further south, especially if you decide to head off to the desert, too. My favourite winter trekking destination is the Jebel Sarhro region. November is a perfect time to head there. In November you are likely to experience lovely warm days and clear blue skies. The mountains are not as high as around Marrakech but they are just as spectacular and the views from the mountain passes are quite stunning. These mountains are less populated and fewer trekkers head here, so, to my mind, there is always a greater sense of adventure. If this appeals to you, head down to Kelaat M'gouna or Boumalne du Dades, to approach the mountains from the north, or to N'kob, to approach the mountains from the south.

Alternatively, head further south to the Anti-Atlas Mountains where, again, there are many opportunities. A good starting point for exploring the Anti-Atlas is Tafraoute.

Mentioned in this post
High Atlas Mountains
High Atlas Mountains
423 Reviews
Marrakech
Marrakech
Tafraoute
Tafraoute
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
1,178 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,774 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Morocco - Early November

Saidia is on the Mediterranean coast in the north, and in any case wouldn't be a good choice.

You need to consider how you will get around. You can get to Agadir (Taghazout ) and Essaouira by bus.

Weather varies tremendously and November could be warm and balmy or not, so if you are headed for the mountains take clothes you can combine in layers, topped with a lightweight waterproof shell. Hat and gloves might be appreciated especially at night.

Jebel Sahro is lower altitude than the High Atlas which is why Alan's suggestion is good.

Personally I would head for Tafraoute in the Anti Atlas for the mountain area experience, then to Sidi Ifni for the surf. It probably won't be as good surf as Taghazout but it's a more interesting place to head for. Use Looklex to check out places, http://looklex.com/morocco/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Saidia
Saidia
Oriental Region, Morocco
Agadir
Agadir
Taghazout
Taghazout
Essaouira
Essaouira
Tafraoute
Tafraoute
Sidi Ifni
Sidi Ifni
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
1,178 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Morocco - Early November

You have 6 days for your hiking and trekking so you can do both. Sarhro mountain is nice, lower and more warmer in November than Atlas. Then you can only continue towards Zagora - M'Hamid and Erg Chigaga and do 2 nights trek there before going back to Marrakech.

Mentioned in this post
Zagora
Zagora
M'Hamid
M'Hamid
Marrakech
Marrakech
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
1,178 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
4. Re: First trip to Morocco - Early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16