We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Does This Itinerary Sound?

New Hudson, Michigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
How Does This Itinerary Sound?

My husband and I are planning on traveling to Morocco in May and I wanted to get some opinions on our itinerary since I currently know very little about getting around in Morocco, how much there is to see in each city, etc. (I'm just starting my research so I'll get there!)

Itinerary:

Day 1 Arrive in Merrekech

Day 2 Full day in Merrekech

Day 3 Full day in Merrekech

Day 4 Drive in morning from Merrekech to Casablanca, spend day in Casablanca

Day 5 Full day in Casablanca

Day 6 Drive in morning from Casablanca to Rabat, spend day in Rabat

Day 7 Full day in Rabat

Day 8 Drive in morning from Rabat to Chefchaouen, spend day in Chefchaouen

Day 9 Full day in Chefchaouen

Day 10 Drive to Tangier, Fly out of Tangier Airport

It would be great to hear a variety of opinions. We are relaxed travelers who love eating good food in slightly off the beaten path cities - so I'm a little worried we are packing too much in and that we are going to a lot of very large cities. Here are my major questions:

1. Do you all think this is too many places?

2. Does you think it seems like a very "touristy"/large city trip?

3. Would you guys recommend busing from place to place, taking taxis, or renting a car?

4. If there is a city or location that you loved, please let me know! We have always been fascinated by Morocco from afar and this will be our first trip there so we are open to suggestions.

Locust Valley, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

I would go from Marrakesh to essaouira and then casablanca

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

In one sense, I think your itinerary is fine: you could certainly cover the ground in your itinerary in 10 days. However, rather too much time will be spent in travelling between destinations I and share your concerns that you are trying to cover too many "large cities".

With 10 days, I would choose either to begin in Marrakech and carry out a tour of the south or start in Fes (I wonder why Fes is not included in your itinerary) and carry out a tour of the north. I would want to include visits to smaller towns and villages to gain a fuller appreciation of the variety of Moroccan life. If starting in Marrakech, I would want to include a visit to the Atlas Mountains, sleeping overnight in a Berber village, and perhaps a visit to a coastal town; frankly, any of the coastal towns would be more interesting than Casablanca.

Do you have a good guide book to help you with your research?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

Your itinerary seems relaxing, but I am agree with Alan. Even I think there in your itinerary are too many big cities and not some small village which are more interesting to see how people live and so. Casablanca is big and I believe it is enough with one half day visit only, if so. Of the coastal town almost on your way from Marrakech to Casablanca is El Jadida, sure worth to see. Rabat have more to offer so it can be OK to stay there the whole day.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,466 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

At the risk of appearing rude I should like to be forthright and suggest you tear up the itinerary, do a lot more research and then start planning afresh.

It's not enough to decide where to go, you need to work out how to get from one place to another and to find out how long it will take, what it will cost. Can you drive a stick-shift car?

Even with your own car travel in Morocco is slow and the more time you spend travelling the less you get to experience the country. For example, Rabat to Chefchaouen is a good five hours in a hire car, so it's not a morning drive unless you start off at 7am. How would YOU do the journey? Do the bus times work for you? What's the cost?

Your start point is the Moroccan entry and exit cities. If you are coming from the US, won't your entry point be Casablanca? And where are you flying to from Tanger?

Casablanca has some attraction for Americans because of the movie, but the reality is that it's a grid-locked busy industrial commercial port. Rabat is cool as it's the capital but again not really a tourist destination.

May is a great time to visit, with long hours of daylight and normally not too hot.

Get a guidebook, have a good read and make a list of places you'd like to see. Use Looklex to check out photos: http://looklex.com/morocco/index.htm

Ten days isn't much to play with, but here's some itineraries: lonelyplanet.com/campaigns/…

New Hudson, Michigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

@AlanPalmer - This is very helpful. I don't have a guidebook. I am currently going off of internet research (no guidebook) - there is so much I want to do that it's overwhelming!

I left Fes off only because of drive time. The others are right in a row so the drive between each only a couple hours. I will check out Fes - I had read that Chefcheouen is amazing so maybe a Fes/Chefcheouen/norther trip would be great. But I'd hate to miss Merekech so I'll have to read up a little.

I love the idea of visiting smallers towns - if you have any other smaller towns you would recommend please let me know. I also love the idea of visiting a smaller coastal town vs Casablanca. Recommendations are more than welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Edited: 15 September 2015, 12:50
6. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2015, 17:05
Edited: 15 September 2015, 17:05
New Hudson, Michigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

@TimCullis - Not rude at all!

We were flying through Madrid but I was having an issue with finding out what airport serviced the US directly so this is very helpful. Your sentiments on Casablanca mirror others so thanks for that feedback.

I'm just starting out my research so I'm sure I will have a better idea of what I want to do but there is so much and so little time! I will check out lonely planet for itinerary ideas.

Thanks!

Locust Valley, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

given the fact that you have only ten days why rush? if you fly into and out of casablanca why not head directly to fes

3-fes

3-marrakesh

2-essaouiria

1-casablanca and do various day trips from fes and marrakesh

regards

wlke

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

Definitely get a guide book. There is structure to a guide book which provides an overview and helps structure thinking. The Internet, of course, is fantastic and indispensable but, in my opinion, lacks structure and so should be used in conjunction with, not instead of, a guide book.

I know the south better than the north and my recommendations will surely reveal this bias:

Towns: Tafraoute, Taroudannt, Nkoub

Coastal towns: Essaouira, Sidi Ifni.

Edited: 15 September 2015, 16:52
10. Re: How Does This Itinerary Sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2016, 05:17