We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing money before Moroc...

Northern California
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
changing money before Moroc...

My wife and I are taking a guided tour in Morocco (starts and ends in Tangier) for 14 days early May 2007. The tour company requests, in addition to the tour fee, a fee of $240 US per person to be given to the tour guide upon arrival in Tangier. I guess for tips and other costs associated with the tour. My question is: We will also be touring France and Spain before and don't want to carry that much USD's with us for several weeks before. Are there banks in either Gibraltar or Algeciras that can change whatever currency we have, probably Euro's to USD's the day or so before we leave Algeciras by ferry for Tangier. Any banks in Europe affiliated with Bank America, maybe, so funds can be withdrawn from our stateside account? Are USD's available in larger chunks at Gibraltar or Algeciras or ?

Thanks for any comments..

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tangier
Tangier
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
France
France
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing money before Moroc...

Are you sure that this company will only accept $US? Maybe that figure was quoted to you because you are apparently Americans, but it seems to me that they would accept the equivalent payment in Euros (or even Sterling, for that matter).

The debit card issued to you by Bank of America should work in ATMs worldwide, consult your bank before leaving.

I don't know how this fee was explained to you by the company, but I wouldn't "tip" a guide in Morocco until the services were rendered (and after all, a tip is discretionary!)

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Northern California
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing money before Moroc...

Hey Chano, thanks for the reply...

Here's the applicable statement with the tour package:

£590 + Local Payment [US$230] (per person)

so whatever a 'local payment' is needed for?? I'll email and get a more specific answer.. Maybe not a tip. I just returned from touring China with an organized tour and there was an additional fee paid there to the tour company in USD's also when we arrived. Granted only, $25 per person in that case..

What I'm concerned about is, if we have to give $230 USD's upon arrival, where can I get them in Gibraltar or Algeciras. My Bof A ATM card only allows $200 a day, but that would only spit out Gibraltar Pounds or Euros only. So I suppose I'll have to make 3 withdrawals over a 3 day period.. If necessary, I hope that a local bank there will be able to cough up $460 USD in cash..

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
3. Re: changing money before Moroc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 01:18