We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

northwest
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

We're off to Agadir next Sun but only for a few days, we intend on visiting taroudant and Souss massa...............is it possible to see " climbing goats" on our way to either of these places ?

Also would like to purchase some argan oil, preferaably from a berber village , so that I know the money will be given to the local people. Also roughly how much is a bottle?

Thanks in advance

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

Obviously you have to wait until the argan nuts have grown on the trees, but it's about the right time to see this.

It's an excellent example of symbiosis--the interaction between different species--in this case goats and humans.

The goats eat the argan nuts for the nutritious qualities of the outer nut. The inner kernel passes through their gut and is excreted, whereupon the Morocans pick it up and crush it for the oil.

On another positive note, the goats are engaged in a self-marination process as their flesh takes on the wonderful aroma of argan.

So it's a plus all the way for humans.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 16:20
Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

If you enter "goats" in the Morocco forums searchbox you should get all the information you need from previous postings on the subject.

Have a good holiday!

northwest
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

Thanks for the replies,

But where are they and how do we go about seeing them ?

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

If you enter "goats" into the search box which appears just above these messages you will read about how and where other people have seen the goats. They are near the roadsides of the main roads - mostly spotted on

a) the road from Agadir to Taroudant

b) the road from Agadir to Essaouira

b) the road from Essaouira to Marrakech (near to Essaouira though)

There are many Argan oil co-operatives where you can go and buy the oil, and I believe that most of them are happy to host a visit. Here is one person's experience.

http://www.ivebeenthere.co.uk/tips/17766

She says she paid around £10 for a 250 ml bottle. Does anyone else out there know the current prices for Argan oil?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

Hi,

If you are taking a taxi from Agadir to Taroudant, just ask the driver to stop for few minutes for you to have a look / take pictures of the goats up the trees, providing you are lucky to encounter some on your journey. BE prepared to tip the driver and sometimes the goat herder (use any spare loose local coins). If you are sharing the taxi with other passengers, be courtoeus enough to ask if they won't mind if the taxi stops for few minutes just for you.

As for tha Argan oil, try to get it from the village people rather than the shops in downtown Agardir (Far too expensive).

Have a good time

Cas

northwest
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

Thanks Cas11,

I hope we are lucky enough to see the goats ! As for the argan oil, Do iask the taxi driver to stop at a village so I can get some or do the villagers approach you ?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

If you are hiring the taxi all to yourself, then the drive would definitley take you to the right village to buy the Argan oil, however he will be expecting few more dirham for his trouble. But it is definely worth it, as you get the real mccoy.

The journey from Agadit to Taroundant is about 45 minute to one hour long.

I remember passing at leat two villages on the way when I went there, but couldn't ask the driver for a stop in any of them because I was sharing the taxi with few other people who might be inconvienced by my request.

But in general Moroccan people are famously accommodating, and they would feel obliged to entertain your requests, be it for few coins tip,

especially in remote areas far away from the touristique-rip off areas of Agadir town centre.

One other way to obtain local products at local prices is to make friends with local people, and I DON NOT MEAN people in the street.

When I was in Agadir on holiday in November, I made friend with one kitchen staff at the hotel I stayed in. What I saw in shops costing 100 dh, he would get it for me for about 25 to 30 DH. I tipped him 10 DH. Everyone was a winner. That is the sort of friend I mean.

I assume that you are lady, if so try to make friends with your room chambermaid at your hotel. They are wonderful ladies, and they would get things for you as they would for themselves.

Good luck & Enjoy whatever you do

Cas

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

You should be aware though, that most of these goats are put up the trees and tied up there, just so that passing tourists will stop and take photos, for which the locals will demand large sums of money. They have not climbed up there of their own accord.

Also, if you buy argan oil anywhere, while on a trip in a taxi, a large percentage of what you pay is taken as commission by the taxi driver. So the locals are not doing as well out of it as you would like to believe.

Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

I'm a local, and I have never, ever, seen a goat tied up up a tree. I am usually on the road between Agadir/Taroudant tens of times per week . The latter on which goats are known to be alongside most of the time,

The shepherds will demand a tip when you stop to take pictures or hold the baby goats, but a few Moroccan coins will suffice, not "large sums of money".

10. Re: Argan trees, climbing goats and oil !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Agadir
Recent Conversations