We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agadir airport

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Agadir airport

When I flew into Agadir last year, as soon as I'd changed my money a man grabbed my suitcase and ushered me into a grand taxi before I could catch my breath. He then demanded £1 sterling which I paid.

What was to prevent me from just exiting the door into the car park which is just across the road, and finding a taxi myself?

Is this usual? I'm going again soon and wondered whether to just accept this 'service' or to insist on doing it myself?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agadir airport

Hi,

Most places round the world you would tip a porter if he carried your luggage. If you don't want one don't use one.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Agadir airport

You don't have to accept this service. You can just say no thank you (la shukran) and exit through the door by yourself.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agadir airport

Keep a close eye on your luggage at all times.

You really should go to the car park rather than to one by the doors, there is an order to all this mayhem and if the guy upsets you then don't pay, although I have to say I believe they only get paid commission, if they don't shift bags then they don't get paid. In any case, wages here are very, very low, typically €5 per day so remember this when out and about and in your hotel.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agadir airport

Thank you all - that clears things up for me. I just couldn't decide if I was being a fool or not. (It does show how easy it is for someone to take your bag out of your hand and run off with it if they were up to no good, we perhaps don't keep a tight enough hold on our baggage at times).

Last time I was a bit disorientated, but this time I'll be alert, and I'll look for the correct taxi rank.

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agadir airport

Sadly 'la shukran' didn't work with all the helpful souls last January. One determined soul followed us all the way to our transport, shouting 'english money! english money'.

Needless to say he didn't get any english money (or anything else for that matter), but if you're not used to the airport, or these porters, I can imagine that they're quite intimidating.

Hang on to the bag, and ignore as best you can if you attract a determined 'friend'

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agadir airport

I'm off in a few hours anyway, so thanks for your help everyone. I was told to tell anyone who pestered me to 'respect' my privacy. I'll let you know if this works!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agadir airport

Hope you have a great time.

There are protest marches palnned for the 20th so hopefully you will miss them.

If people hassle you then just walk on slowly, imagining they are not there works for me!

UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agadir airport

I guess how much help you pay for depends on your financial situation - even small tips can mount up. When I backpacked around Morocco 20 years ago I couldn't afford to pay porters and guides. I would hang onto my bags for dear life at airports, train stations and bus stations, and they really were persistent then! These days, as a middle-aged traveller, I'm not quite as stuck for cash so I'll pay the equivilent of a UK cup of coffee to have my bags carried because it's a win-win situation. The guy gets to earn an honest crust and I don't have to struggle with my bags. If you get talking to your helper you may even find it opens doors for you. My family was the only one to use a porter when departing from Agadir airport recently. All the other holidaymakers (who had probably thought nothing of paying £4 for a beer at the English pub) struggled with their own bags. The checkin queue was very long but my porter whisked us through to his friend on a different check-in desk who processed us immediately and didn't weigh our hand baggage. I estimate that we saved an hour queuing and the whole airport experience was very relaxed.

9. Re: Agadir airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Agadir
Recent Conversations