We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray cats and dogs

Stray cats and dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 14:41
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Excellent idea, Charlie.

I have taken in a very young female cat who has since given birth to 4 kittens. Guess who won't be traveling for a while? I want to get Meesha spayed, but I don't know if there is even a Vet in Taroudant or how much the operation would cost.

Yes, it is a big problem in Morocco, one that needs to be addressed.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stray cats and dogs

As a cat lover (I've got 5 and feeding 2 strays) I always look out for cats when visiting Morocco. I found Essaouira to have the highest stray cat population which seemed to co-exist well with the stray dogs.

Whenever there are left overs from a meal or snack, I ask the waiter to wrap it up so I can feed the cats.

I shall certainly be supporting the program when next there.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 09:52
3. Re: Stray cats and dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 14:41
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stray cats and dogs

David, this page gives the location of the 10 SPANA clinics operating in Morocco. You can choose your nearest one.

https://spana.org/country/morocco

Cats are normally kept for three days so you would need to be prepared for some travelling. The operation is free but donations are more than welcome. Be generous - the charity does sterling work! I have used their services here in Marrakech. Being in a large city stray cats are not really a problem as many people feed them. Apparently "homeless" dogs are seldom seen (except strangely at Bab Doukkala but these seem to be associated with seemingly homeless people).

CharlieBloggs, thank you for the information. I'm sure that animal lovers will support this initiative.

And finally, john9159, I do as you do except the "strays" that I provide scraps for are probably well loved and well fed family cats that appear on my roof terrace. Chancers!

Level Contributor
321 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Liked & shared on my FB wall. Thanks for the link :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stray cats and dogs

I look after a group of around 15 cats in Agadir. All strays. I dearly wish to get some of them neutered Delightful as the new born kittens are.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Does anyone know where we can get cat milk or substitute found an abandoned kitten on the seafront still has eyes closed. Please help! Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stray cats and dogs

Hi

If the eyes are still closed then the kitten is not yet four weeks old, it needs to be kept warm, fed and also helped to empty its bladder. If you cannot find substitute packaged cat milk (perhaps in a large supermarket which also sells pet food?)) then goat milk is the next best thing, since cats are lactose intolerant. I applaud your efforts in trying to save the kitten, however if you are on holiday have you thought what will happen then, do you know anyone there who would continue the care?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stray cats and dogs

We've taken the kitten into the room and started to warm him up as it's late in the evening during Ramadan having a real struggle finding any cat milk, goats milk or any substitutes. Haven't thought about a carer just trying to nurse him to health as a priority! Thanks for getting back to us. Goats milk seems to be the strongest lead so far.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stray cats and dogs

I'd say give the kitten some regular milk until you can find goats milk. My cats certainly never suffered from drinking cows milk, in lieu of cat's milk. Your kitten may be too young for solid food.

Get answers to your questions about Agadir
Recent Conversations