We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

Not sure i'll get an answer to this as i'm guessing you'd need quite a lot of local knowledge but will give it a shot.

During my time in Agadir one thing I really noticed was the amount of half built buildings that seemed to be completely abandoned.

I know in places like Greece they deliberately don't finish buildings to get around paying some form of tax but in Agadir it was different.

I saw literally dozens and dozens of buildings where the main structure had been built but then appeared to have been abandoned.

Is there a reason for this?

I did think that maybe they have some sort of annual shut down and that's why I didn't see any construction workers but a lot of them appeared to have been like that for a while.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 15:05
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

It gets very hot at times and workers don't always work flat out, although more than likely they work much harder than Greko's!

There is not the same urgency to complete a task in Agadir, or Morocco in general, but my best guess is due to the ecenomic down turn, which even affects Morocco, construction projects are slow as there are not so many buyers as before.

I hope I'm right anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
668 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

Possibly the result of the development bubble that burst a few years ago. Hoards of westerners and rich Moroccans invested in ill-fated developments that sprang up all over Morocco (see the eyesores along the Med coast like Saidia where it totally went t*ts up). The buys never came and then the economic depression......and then the Arab sprig which put many investors off even though nothing really happened in Morocco.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

I agree with the two posts above, especially Kate88's - exactly the same has happened in Spain - the massive overbuild, the naivety of property developers thinking that they were onto "a sure thing", the number of banks willing to lend on unsafe investments for land and property and (if I dare say this) the financial incentives offered by the Moroccan government to develop Spanish Costa style concrete resorts on the coasts (obviously!) while not actively encouraging tourism in the Imperial cities by promoting culture over sun, sea, sand and another word beginning with "s". In other words, sheer (misplaced) greed.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Wales
Level Contributor
316 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

Also they only build if it is a family home when they can afford to carry on building the property. So you might see villages where they are waiting to put the windows in the property but they do not have the money for it yet.

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

South of Agadir around Mirflet there are lots of tourist orientated developments abandoned at "La Crise" in 2008. They may never be completed. The general rule on developments is that they do not move to get them up and sold as quickly as in Europe. It is usual to buy houses with just the shell complete and finish to first and second fix over time and then maybe move into the ground floor whilst completing the rest of the building gradually over time and acting as your own project manager. Although Halal mortgages are available there is not the cultural expectation of having a mortgage that applies in Europe. it is more usual to save and have a bit of work done as you get the money together. Thus houses on what appear to be one development can be at very different stages of completion for decades, unlike in europe where the mortgagees demand a level of completion before releasing funds.

Also once a building is complete if the correct certified forms are completed it is exempt from local taxes (payable in towns only in any event ) for 5 years. I suspect this has something to do with the large number of blocks of flats which appear complete but remain unoccupied. Seemingly there is no outgoing cost to the developer pushing to early sale or let. i don't know enough about the market to know if the empty blocks are an appreciating asset.

We did learn early in our househunting only to buy completed properties, which is just as well as we were looking in 2007/8.

colchester
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

I take it your missing word was Sangria, Pilo??

Personally I've always wondered what the hold up was with the Kempinski Palace hotel - it looked like it was going to be gorgeous, but I haven't seen it develop and over the last 6 years.

In the same time the Tikida palace has gone from a giant sand pit to one of the newest hotels close to town.

Anyone know anything? I would like to know..

Jaycine x

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,831 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

In less touristy areas the explanation is often that it's a home being built by an ex-pat who's working in Europe. Each year as money becomes available another bit gets added. The owner isn't too concerned with what the 'building site' looks like as he/she isn't there most of the time. Twenty years down the line the person comes back to live in Morocco in the home they built.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
8. Re: Abandoned/Derelict Buildings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16