We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early 20's 1st holiday alone

Which Agadir hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marazion, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Early 20's 1st holiday alone

Hi guys,

I've been asked by my brother to help him sort out his 1st holiday with his girlfriend without either of their parents. They're both 20 and looking for somewhere hot at the end of October/early November.

I was looking at them flying into Marrakech and spending 1 or 2 nights there, before catching the bus to Agadir for a week and then returning to Marrakech.

So my questions are:

1. Self catering or All inclusive? - Food and drink seems cheap

2. Is Agadir a good resort for 2 twenty year olds on their 1st holiday?

Many thanks for your help guys

Mike

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

As all 20 somethings are different it may help to give some idea of their interests or type of thing they may like to encounter on holiday. That way more helpful suggestions could be forthcoming.

Marrakech has a lot that would appeal to most tastes but I would suggest that Agadir is very much an aquired taste (not mine) and unless you are wanting to spend most of your time in and around your hotel you are going to be spending quite a bit of time and money trying to escape the town. However that is just my opinion as a ( very much not) 20 something!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

Two days in Marrakesh and and 5 days in Agadir seems a reasonable arrangement.

As it is their first holiday I would recommend bed & breakfast. Lunches & Dinners are by far cheaper outside the hotels.

Marrakesh, despite its reputation aborad, does till look typically Moroccan. The local way of life and the old town reflects this.

Agadir, however, is much modern, and the hotels in and around sea front and town centre looks like any hotels you may see in Spain for example. Main attarction in Agadir is the beach and nothing else. For 20 years ild, there is not much to do apart from sunbathing on the beach or hotel swimming pool. For night out there is few bars and nightclubs. Probably the most frequented by young tourists would be the English Pub in boulevard 20 Aout. Good for watching football!!!. Failing that they may want to head to sea front promenade and a have a drink or a meal in one of the several restaurants lining up the pavement.

There are daily and frequent buses linking Marrakesh and Agadir, but to be on safe side they may need to book their tickets at leat one day before.

Marrakesh main attraction is the square. If this is their first visit, then they should be prepared for a huge culture shock. Because this place is not for the faint hearted or the naive. They must be pretty alert at all time!!!. Having said, this place is also magical and very atmospheric.

Cheers

Cas

Marazion, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

Thanks both of you. I forgot to write what their in to. They've asked for somewhere with a bit of culture, but with things to do. They originally wanted to go Croatia, but due to time of year it's going to be too cold as they want some heat. Cyprus was the other alternative, or maybe another beach resort in Morocco??

Any suggestions most welcome

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

If they want culture then have a look at Essaouira rather than Agadir - both are around the same distance from Marrakech.

Agadir has the better beach and will probably be slightly warmer, but Essaouira has a chilled out Old Town with more culture and history.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

As much as I love Morocco and everything about it, I would think that as a first time holiday for two 20 year olds, it might be a little daunting and possibly too much of a culture shock? There is also the language barrier to consider that may cause them some difficulty unless they can speak Arabic or French, even though the tourist sectors are well versed in English, particularly in Agadir.

As a beach resort, I feel Agadir would be the best for them for sure and as Cas11 has already said, definitely don't go all-inclusive as part of experiencing the culture is eating out and tasting different foods. Food and drink prices can be cheap depending on where you choose to eat and as normal, it is usually more expensive in the touristy areas.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

As nibrika said in reply# 4 Essaouira is an alternative Moroccan resort. But 7 days there would be too long & tedious. It is smaller than Agadir and Marrakesh and there is not much of nightlife.

As much as I love Morocco, one other altenative your brother and his GF may want to look at is Malta. Bundle of history (includeing arabic influences) and great weather!!!. And as good measure, there aremany things for 20 old years to do. From watersport, scuba diving, snorkeling to dancing the night away in the nightclubs in Paceville near St Julian Bay.

I even came a Morocann restaurant in Bugibba and Sisha bar in Qawra.

Malta is a very small island in the Med and all its cities are linked within 60 minutes bus drive in any direction.

Cheers

Cas

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

Well I wouldnt recommend 7 days in either Agadir or Essaouira! Either is fine for a few days though

Marrakech is worth at least 3/4 days - can also easily head for a daytrip toward the Atlas Mountains from there.

I dont think anyone needs to worry about language barrier either - you can easily get by in English in these touristy cities, although a little Arabic/French is always helpful.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 16:56
st helens
Level Contributor
702 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

hotel carribean village without a doubt,,great al/inc for all ages and near to everything

9. Re: Early 20's 1st holiday alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Agadir