We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

Which Casablanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

What language is used on ATMs? If there is a choice, would it generally include English?

I intend to use ATMs but need a back, am I better with cash or traveller cheques (and if so in what currency)?

Do you have to complete any paperwork relating to currency when you enter/leave Morocco?

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
752 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

Just back from a week touring in Morocco. ATM's are everywhere. Most give you a choice of english, french or arabic. They all dispense dirahms. We got our first lot at the arrivals lounge of Marrakesh airport. All very easy. Approx £1 = 14 dirahms

You cannot buy dirahms until you arrive in Morocco. You can bring a max of 1000 out with you.

No paperwork required relating to currency issues, but you do need to fill in a tourist card on arrival and again on departure.

Hope this helps.

N&B

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

Hello plodder,

My experience is that not all ATM's have an English option.

You are better taking Sterling than Euros, better exchange rate. Do remember that Sterling notes need to be in pristine condition, no pen marks or writing, no rips or tears (otherwise banks will reguse to accept them. I would also suggest when possible use ATM's during bank hours, that way if you have any problems you can immediately go into the bank. Morocco banks do not open as far as I am aware on a Saturday or Sunday.

You do not have to complete any paperwork either entering or leaving Morocco.

Morocco Dirhams is a closed currency, which means you are unable to buy this currency outside of Morocco. I must admit that I am totally unaware of previous writers information regarding being allowed to bring 1000Dh out of the country, if this is the case then it is a very new rule. You are allowed to exchange your Dirhams at either banks or Bureau de Change before leaving the country. It is adviceable to keep receipts for any currency exchanges that you make as proof. Having said that I have never in all the years that I have travelled to Morocco ever been asked for proof.

Both on arrival into and departure from Morocco you will need to fill in Entry and exit forms, which should be given to you during your inbound flight and are available normally at hotels or the airport for your departure.

Have a good holiday.

Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

Many thanks.

Looks like a trip to an ATM in this country first for some pristine notes!

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
752 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

Posters stating max 1000D in airport departure lounge.

N&B

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,337 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

I think the 1000 Dh rule might be new and is presumably in response to the otherwise ridiculous situation that Moroccan residents might find themselves in if they, for instance, had to take a short business trip and could not even have a bit of taxi money when they got back.

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
752 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

Sounds about right.

N&B

7. Re: Sorry, yet another money/ ATM question!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 03:16