We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hassan II Mosque on Friday?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Hassan II Mosque on Friday?

I've read conflicting information on guidebooks, sites such as this, and elsewhere on the Internet regarding Hassan II Mosque and whether or not it is open to non-Muslims on Fridays. If someone visited or tried to visit on a Friday, please share.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
618 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hassan II Mosque on Friday?

To my knowledge Hassan 2nd Mosque s closed for non-Muslims on Fridays as its the day where locals go to pray Midday/

Cheers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hassan II Mosque on Friday?

Thanks Tizi.

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hassan II Mosque on Friday?

In the French site "Voyages Forum" it is stated that on Friday the Hassan II mosque would be open for non-muslims with a guided tour at the cost of Dhirams 120.-. at 09.00 and 10.00 am. Can anybody confirm this please. I will be in Casablanca September 23, 2011.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hassan II Mosque on Friday?

Thanks for interjecting that valuable point, Lugano!

I don't know about the specific case of the Hassan II mosque. Likely if an internet site is giving specific times when non-Moslems can be admitted it's right.

I'd make a couple of general points, just to clarify:

Generally, in Morocco, mosques and Moslem cemeteries are closed to non-Moslems. This has been widely reported, and we found it to be true when we wandered close enough to mosques and cemeteries that it looked like we might enter. People aren't nasty about it, but men loitering nearby wagged their fingers to shoo us away.

The custom is not, however, based on any hard and fast Islamic principle. Mosques in other Moslem countries, like Turkey, welcome all visitors. I commend to the Moroccan religious authorities the words of the imam of the Sultanahmet Mosque to me in Istanbul: "The mosque is the house of God, and no man has the right to tell others not to come in."

Especially at the grand mosques, I suspect that provision is made for tourists in the form of guided tours, where visitors are permitted to view these beautiful buildings in ways that do not disturb the faithful or interrupt prayers. That's the way we've found it in other Moslem countries.

Persevere, and I bet you'll find a way to visit with a group.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

5. Re: Hassan II Mosque on Friday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 12:17