We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking class

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cooking class

Hello,

I'm going to Casablanca on a cruise so I'll be there just one day. I was hoping to get to participate on a cooking class, does anyone know? I looked from the internet and there was this Fez but they don't have classes on friday and that's my day of being there. Then there was another one can't remember the name but it was full.Just want to learn some tagine and exotic spices to use at home. Thanks for help.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking class

Ideas here from Google:

https://www.google.com/#q=casablanca+cooking+lessons

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
752 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking class

Since Casablanca is not a big tourist magnet like Marrakech or Fez, I expect you would be hard pressed to find a cookery class there. Most of the cooking schools that come up when you Google "cooking class Casablanca" seem to cater only for locals, and are longer term courses taught in French and Arabic. In addition, you are only available on a Friday, which is of course the one day of the week where families get together at lunchtime to eat couscous, so a lot of businesses close all afternoon and sometimes in the evening too.

My suggestion is that you take a look at the About.com Moroccan Food website run by an American lady married to a Moroccan - Christine Benlafquih. Her website - which is in English - contains a wealth of information about Moroccan cuisine. Here's the link: …about.com/bio/Christine-Benlafquih-44847.ht… She may even know about available cookery courses - perhaps you could email her to find out.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 10:40
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking class

If time was taken to read through the link provided one would quickly realise that Casablanca does offer Moroccan cookery lessons although the conditions attached are specific and probably will not suit a day visitor. Reading a webpage or two does not substitute for lessons where practioners of cuisine can be observed and there is hands on experience. There are many websites devoted to Moroccan cuisine (some pathetically unauthentic) and many decent books. As a keen, mainly self taught, cook I have learned knowledge through printed materials, long before the internet, but many of my culinary skills and techniques are from actual observation and practice with expert cooks and chefs. The internet is a good source of (sometimes erroneous) information but is no substitute for real experience.

Chicago
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking class

Did you ever find a cooking class in Casablanca? I'd like to do the same.

5. Re: Cooking class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:15