We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fez for 2.5 days with a friend

toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
Fez for 2.5 days with a friend

Hi everyone!

My friend and I are headed to Fez for a few nights in April- we are flying into Casablanca. We get into fairly late, and were planning on staying the night there, and then taking the train to Fez the next morning.

We're staying in a Riad that looks great, but I'm trying to plan to two and a half days that we have.

Any advice? How easy is it just to walk around and explore? Any must sees for any young professionals just out of university who love to travel?

We were considerering doing a day trip to Volubilis as well.

Thanks!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fez for 2.5 days with a friend

Given such a short amount of time, skip Volubilis and focus on the Fes medina. See if the riad you are staying at can arrange for a decent guide for your first foray...afterwards do some exploring on your own.

The only problem with "must-sees" is that the majority of monuments are off-limits to non-muslims, the real activity here is soaking up the atmosphere of the medina. You can however, visit the medrasa Bou Inania, the Nejjarine and Batha museums, among others. There are also numerous palaces, such as the Glaoui and Mokri, worth exploring. You'll find plenty to fill the two days you have.

ADER, a Moroccan organization that works on Fes medina projects and preservation, have published a guide to the medina which includes several different walking circuits. They are colour coded according to theme and are easily spotted when walking around. It costs 150 dirhams at kiosks and is a good alternative to taking a guide, who is often more interested in taking you shopping!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fez for 2.5 days with a friend

Chano--thank you for the reply posting to sweetp. Your Ader guide info is good to know. There is so much opinion and little solid info for guides and details when people ask questions. It's one of the weird-est forums I've used.

toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fez for 2.5 days with a friend

Thanks! I will look for the guide you suggested - sounds perfect because we love to walk around and explore.

We're staying at Riad Tizwa and they have offered to arrange for a guide who apparently is highly recommended. So many we will explore on our own for one day and arrange for a guide if it seems like a good idea....

thanks for your help!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fez for 2.5 days with a friend

make sure you report asap after you get home--we're going in May--love to hear your tales of travel in Fes.

5. Re: Fez for 2.5 days with a friend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 12:16