We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
348 reviews
Save Topic
Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

We have just made a reservation at La Maison Bleu and have been asked to provide a credit card number to guarantee the booking. I have never before been asked for this anywhere in the world, and I am very suspicious about giving out my credit card number. Has anyone else had experience of being asked for their credit card number to guarantee a booking?

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

Simple reply, NEVER. Nor would I ever do so.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

There's nothing unusual about it. If you are a large group, or in the case of the Maison Bleue, don't do a lot of covers per night, I don't see why they wouldn't want some kind of a guarantee that you are going to show. Most upmarket restaurants that I know of want some form of a guarantee.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

Thank you for your reply. You have just confirmed what we thought. We have therefore changed our reservation to another well reviewed restaurant that has welcomed our booking without the need for a credit card confirmation. In fact it is my birthday that day and they have gone over-the-top in asking if there is anything particular we would like to eat - what a difference! That is what I would call service.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

I should have specified the restaurant that we have now booked at - it is the Dar Roumana.

United States
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

You have made a wise choice in Dar Roumana. We ate at La Maison Bleu and in my opinion a tourist trap...but that said many people really like it...we just don't like so many courses and little opportunity to make selections at a very high price. I have never been asked for a credit card to guarantee a restaurant anywhere...our hotel made the reservation so I imagine that is the difference...it is a small place ...very beautiful but a bit contrived for me...

6. Re: Do Restaurant reservations require credit card guarantee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 06:17