We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for Riad location in Fez?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendation for Riad location in Fez?

Hi,

We would like to stay where there are people walking around at night and it is lively till at least 10:00/10:30 at night.

The old Medina is big and looks like travel books are recommending getting a Riad in the old Medina.

Where in Fez we should pick a Riad? Old or new Medina?

Does the Medina get really quiet early at night? If so, what time?

Also in this web site folks are talking about the Riad being close to the edge versus in the center.

Are cars not allowed in the medina? If not, is it safe to walk to them at night?!! How one transports luggage then?

Any input is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for Riad location in Fez?

Sounds then like the area around Bab Boujeloud/Ziat is for you, this is the area of the medina that has the inexpensive little restaurants and sees more tourists and therefore is more active until around 11. Traditionally the medina quiets down after the last call to prayer of the evening (around 8 p.m. currently, earlier in winter). If you're looking for a great nightlife scene with bars and what-not, then you can cross Fes off the list. Hanging out in one of the cafés up by Boujeloud or down by the Seffarine square offers great people watching though.

Personally I prefer the areas of the medina around R'Cif or Bab Guissa which have car access points but are more local feeling and less touristed.

Cars are indeed not allowed inside the medina. In fact, Fes is the largest pedestrianised urban area in the world.

I'd use common sense and not be out wandering the medina late at night after the streets have emptied. Although it is not commonplace, tourists have been targeted for muggings.

Luggage is brought in/out by pushcart drivers (in arabic, 'carossa'). You tip them between 10-20 dirhams for the service of transporting your luggage as well as leading you to your hotel, much simpler than some local hanger-on trying to guide you and then insisting on an exhorbitant tip.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for Riad location in Fez?

Chano, Thanks for the answer and the advices. I wish I had received this answer when I posted the question since it would have helped me a lot.

I have planned my trips before and Fez was by far the most difficult city to figure out where to stay and the most difficult city to reserve a place. It wasted days of my time till I finally reserved a Riad.

After consulting three travel books, I decided on Bab Boujeloud, Ziat, Batha and Dough with Bab Boujeloud as my first preference. All the Riads I could find in Bab Boujeloud were full. I could not find a solid list anywhere. I finally got a Riad which I think is in Batha or Ziat area. I hope it is not dead at night in that area since I love people watching. I have a feeling it may be. Not looking for bars.

BTW, I really liked Jerez.

3. Re: Recommendation for Riad location in Fez?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 05:15