We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

We (family of 4 with luggage) need to travel from Fes to Tangier (and from there to Spain on the ferries). What is the best way to do this? (In December)

Grand Taxi? Hired car and driver? Train (I checked and the schedule for this isn't great)? Some other way?

I'd rather not try driving myself.

Is this something we need to arrange before we get to Morocco, or is it better left til we get there (we do need to travel on a specific day and get to Tangier in time to get on a boat for Spain).

I am also somewhat confused by the ferries---does the ferry go to Tarifa or Algericas or both (we are NOT EU citizens). Is it still possible to get a ferry to Gibraltar?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

Ferries to Gibraltar are once per week. Ferries to Tarifa leave from Tanger city port, ferries to Algeciras leave from Tanger Med port, see map at www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231618

Four people plus luggage should just about fit in a grand taxi. Organise this when you are in Fez.

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

As you indicate that you have no need to stop in Tanger, then you might want to consider flying. Ryanair fly from Fez to Seville, Alicante, Madrid and Girona (Barcelona), they often offer very good deals and it is very possible it will be cheaper than the land route. However when checking their prices be aware that they charge a €5 booking fee and €15 for checked in luggage.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

Unfortunately Ryan air only seems to fly on a very few days.

Though actually I think we want to cross the straits by sea, just cause.

Any idea (approximately) what a Grand Taxi from Fez to Tangier (or Tanger Med) should cost?

I am hoping we can, in the course on one day travel from Fez to the ferry port, take a ferry to Spain, get through the custom formalities, rent a car and drive for about 1 hour. Is this unrealistic?

Edited: 13 September 2010, 19:58
Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
719 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

Tim,

Since Tanger Med opened, there is a ferry every day from Tanger Med to Gibraltar, leaving at around 15.00 hrs. For the return (same ferry boat I think) the departure from Gibraltar is at 19.00 hrs local time. Not good for those of us who want to do a day trip to stock up on English goodies, but better than before when there was only one trip per week. I hope this schedule will continue throughout the winter. It's not just expats like me who depend on it, but also Moroccans working in Gibraltar.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

i advice you to arrange your transfer FEZ to Tangier with tourists transport company. it is quite expensive than Gran taxi but it is safe, comfortable A/C , you can choose a van big trunk for your luggage and it has tourists insurance the think that the public transportation doesn't have. i think it is the best way to travel in Morocco. i traveled to morocco 2 times before. for more information don't hesitate don't reach me

6. Re: Fez to Tangier---best way to travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 04:18