We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alcohol in fez and morocco

georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
alcohol in fez and morocco

do they serve anything besides mint tea at riads and bars there.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

You are not first who is asking about alcohol, I only wonder why it is so important to know? Is it so difficult to go in holiday and not drink at all, only mint tea?

Anyway, in the hotels often is possibility to have wine or maybe even whiskey but in smaller guesthouses and simile not.

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

Just ask your the guest house where you are intending to stay. Some do and some don't. There are several bars in the new town, and also a public bar in the Hotel Batha (at the back). There are also bars in the big hotels in the new town that are open to outsiders as well as guests.

But as I said above, firstly ask the guest house that you are staying at, or if you haven't already booked, ask when you make your booking enquirey.

Many people drink alcohol in Morocco and indeed Morocco produces some very good red wines.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

It's well seen that you are Swedish, Khamlia, and not Finnish--the Finns would never turn down the opportunity!

As SIbrahim writes, Morocco produces some decent red wines: …blogspot.com/search/label/Morocco

You can pick these up at the the Marjane Hypermarkets (one on the southern outskirts of Fez, the other on the north west side), there's also a couple of Acima supermarkets that sell wine.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

The Riad I stayed at in Fes had a wine list exclusively of Moroccan wines - about 50. They also sold Moroccan beer.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

# 3 - :)

Edited: 26 January 2011, 20:34
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

Tim - your link at post #3 is a beauty - many thanks. Now to see how many I can try in 14 days............

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

sure you can buy alchol in Fez: The restaurant Fez et Geste allows you to bring your own. Cafe Fez sells it. Both are great French restaurants. Just outside the medina is Hotel Batha. Some of the large splendid restaurants in the medina sell alcohol. Most of the large modern hotels outside the medina serve it. You can also take a petite taxi to supermaket Marjan which is not far from the medina. Beware though, you are not legally allowed to transport it in taxis. I buy a black bag as a disguise. There are some cafes in the new town that serve drinks but they are male drinking dens, very smokey,no female toilets and prostitutes. So I have been told.

London
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

You find alcohol eveywhere in Morocco except in public places . Fez is more traditional so probably less place serve alcohol but there are no shortage of bars, restaurants, hotels serving wine , beer and spirit in Marrakech

9. Re: alcohol in fez and morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 06:18