We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

Cambridge
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

I have been to Marrakesk and it was fantastic ,is Fes very similar or is it a totally different experience ?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

I travel to both Fes and Marrakech is April. In both places you will find, Medinas, narrow and crowded streets, the hustlers to be the same, but then the geography (fez is built on a hill, Marrakech on the plain) the architecture and the history are different. However if I was going again I would suggest Meknes or Rabat instead of Fez

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

I beg to disagree: if you enjoyed Marrakech, Annyalla, you would also be happy in Fes. The city and its environs have a unique cultural identity and there is much to do and see. Meknes, although a pleasant place for a day, also with its own medina and souk, but can be visited easily on a day trip from Fes. Rabat, the new capital, is plain by comparison - existing mostly as a commercial and business centre and host to many embassies. I hope that this helps with your decision making but whatever you decide enjoy your next trip to Morocco!

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

In simple terms, Fes is a less touristy version of Marrakech.

I second Philobus' comment regarding Meknes, although I think whereas Rabat does not compare to either Fes or Marrakech it is def worth at least a day's visit with it's calm small medina, the Kasbah Oudayas and the Chellah.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

It really depends on what you like. Marrakesh is very tourist oriented city with plenty of night life, conveniences, tons of tourists and lots of near by attractions. On the other hand, Fes is the cultural heart of Morocco where many of the countries handicrafts originate. It has history a plenty and has a truly mysterious and winding Medina unlike any other in Morocco.

For me, I'd choose Fes every time, though it's worth noting that the hustlers are as pushy there as in Marrakesh, and that the Medina is not exactly pleasant late at night.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,872 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

fes, less touristy, they are both great, but would take fes...if i HAD to.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

Marrakesh – Very, very touristy with a KFC on the main square(!).

Fes – totally separate old medina, way less tourists, way less hustlers and a lot less bastardised for the tourist hoards. IMHO a lot more rewarding, interesting and authentic.

I’ve been to both many times and find Marrakesh to be, extremely irritating, overpriced and busy nowadays, where as Fes never fails to delight.

I think Rabat would make a very disappointing alternative to Fes. The 2 cities are about as opposite as is possible and can’t be compared. One is a faceless modern capital with a European façade that just doesn’t live up to being a capital, the other being a world heritage site with 1000’s of years of history that still looks very much the same as it did when it was first built and offers a real chance to see living history. But horses for courses I suppose.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

Hi,

Some folk prefer Fes, many prefer Marrakech. Yesterday I met 2 seperate couples who had spent 2 days in Fes before travelling to Marrakech and both said they were glad to have been in Fes first as Marrakech was much easier to navigate and the people were far friendlier, less hassle in the medina and no need for a guide.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

Fes is the oldest city in Africa and is well worth a visit. Its less in your face than Marrakesh souks etc.....

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

Both are great and I agree with all that has already been said that Fes is more "authentic" and cultural feeling, while Marrakech has great atmosphere and is more catered to tourists. See them both if you can!

- Sorry to correct you Helena, but there are various cities in Africa that are older than Fes (Thebes & Alexandria in Egypt come to mind, and several cities in Nigeria and Somalia were all established in the BC era). Fes was established in the 8th century. It's still old, but not THAT old. cheers

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there any difference between Fes and Marrakesh ?

And there are remains of ancient African cultural and population centres in Namibia and South Africa for example too, all of which predate even the Egyptian dynasties.