We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving our own car from Spain

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Driving our own car from Spain

This question is for those of you that have actually driven from Spain into Morocco. We are going to visit friends in Mallorca and then take their car for a road trip to the mainland of Spain. We were planning on going into Morocco once we are in the south. I am sure it can be done and many people have done it so if you have any advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving our own car from Spain

Not only have I done it, I'm replying to this post in line for the ferry! My advice is to take FRS from Tarifa-Tangier, very straightforward. Go into the country low on petrol and fuel up in Morocco-with recent Spanish increases in fuel tax, Morocco is currently some 25% cheaper.

2. Re: Driving our own car from Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2012, 11:41
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,899 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving our own car from Spain

You will need the vehicle registration documents and a letter authorising you to use the car.

You can complete the necessary temporary importation form in advance, see morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving our own car from Spain

A word of warning : tourists driving in Spain should be aware of thieves on the road, too many incidents that I have heard of.

This does NOT happen in Morocco, though.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving our own car from Spain

@morocco, that's ridiculous.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving our own car from Spain

I concur with what Tim says. You MUST have a letter of authorisation from the legal owner of the vehicle stating that he/she has given you permission to use the vehicle in Spain and Morocco. In this document it should state the name and identity document number (passport or ID card) of the owner plus the make and registration number of the vehicle, and the names and passport/identity documents of the persons authorised to drive said vehicle. I normally have the document notarized (Moroccans love officially stamped documents), but probably this is not strictly necessary. Make sure the vehicle is covered by insurance in Morocco. If not, you can buy a few days' local insurance from the port, where there is a booth selling such insurance to travellers.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 08:12
7. Re: Driving our own car from Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:16