We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on Friday, and wondering if I got ripped off

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
787 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on Friday, and wondering if I got ripped off

I understand that most things are closed in Fes on Friday's. Our hotel suggested that we go to the mid Atlas mountains for the day. He said it should cost about 75 euros. Is that area interesting? Does that seem like a fair price? Does anyone have any other suggestions on things to do on a Friday.

On another note I would like to briefly explain my day and wonder if this is normal. My wife requested a woman guide on the afternoon we arrived for the following day. About an hour or so later the owner said we were in luck and that she was from the tourist office. The arranged price was 400 dirhams. She said she was just interested in taking us to the sites and not for shopping. My wife indicated that we were interested in doing a little shopping and she said that would be fine. While we were walking through the Medina I noticed that our guide was always walking about 10 steps ahead of us.I assume this was because she was not a legal guide, but I never questioned her because at first I really liked her and found her quite informative. We ended up buying quite allot of stuff( I ended up getting the rugs for half the initial price from Dar Essad)) so I thought I did ok. Then towards the end of the day I said I would like to drive around the old city and the new city. She said a small taxi couldn't do this and only a driver could for 200 dirhams. I hesitantly agreed. As we were driving she told me to give her the money. I guess my question in did she get a cut of everything that we bought? Thanks in advance.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on Friday, and wondering if I got ripped off

Most places are not closed on Fridays, and yes, you got taken for a ride in more than one sense. Your guidebook should have given you a better idea of prices.

€75 is about 800dh which seems an awful lot of money for a 200km round trip to the Middle Atlas. Where would you go? Sefrou, the dayats, Ifrane, Source Vitel and Azrou would be good, with a link round via the extinct volcano of Mischlifen. Check out these places in your guidebook.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on Friday, and wondering if I got ripped off

Hi,

A day trip to Meknes, Volubilis and Ifrane ia a nice way to pass Friday though as Tim said you are misinformed that "most things" in Fes are closed.

The taxi story she told you was not true.

Your guide would indeed have gained a percentage on all your purchases and from the driver and from lunch if you went somewhere she recommended.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 17:49
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on Friday, and wondering if I got ripped off

Hi,

Just a point, if you were happy with the price you paid for things you were not "ripped off".

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on Friday, and wondering if I got ripped off

would a local pay less than what you paid? YES

did you get ripped off? No, in my opinion.

5. Re: What to do on Friday, and wondering if I got ripped off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:15