We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Fes and Where to eat in Fez

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Fes and Where to eat in Fez

I should probably put this in two different posts!

First, what is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the trains? I will be coming to Fez by train from Tangiers.

Second, any recommendations on memorable places for dinner. I am staying very near the Fes el-Bali medina area.

Fes
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Fes and Where to eat in Fez

Moroccans trains are of a very decent standard. 1st class fits 6 per compartment, 8 per compartment in the second carriage. Ventilation is pretty much the same for both classes. The cost from Tangier to Fes is approximately (ive forgotten the exact) 100Dh for 2nd and 140Dh for 1st.

Fez, Morocco
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Fes and Where to eat in Fez

Second class trains are fine, but first class is not that much more expensive and is much less crowded. Also first class seats are reserved so you're sure to get a place.

I've written a list of restaurants I think are good in Fez, both in the medina and in the ville nouvelle. Do a search on "fez restaurants" in Google. If you have any specific questions about restaurants I'm happy to try to answer them.

boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Fes and Where to eat in Fez

As for restaurants, Dar Roumana is the place to go if they have availability. You can choose between Moroccan or European cuisine, but you must make reservations ahead of time. Our first course was a cheese souffle that was mouth watering. The dessert was chocolate mouse with strawberries and grand marnier. The entire meal was outstanding. We enjoyed the food so much we tried to go a second time, but they did not have availability. It located is in a beautiful Riad in the media near the palais jamai. The owner/chef could have not been more hospitable and was well informed about the area.

We also stayed at the Riad Fes and the food their was great as well. There are very few good restaurants in Fes, and you cannot go wrong with these two.