We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe go out at night?

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Safe go out at night?

Hi, we are a young couple going to Fes, Chefchaouen, Meknes and Rabat and I was wondering if it is dangereous to go for a drink or just walk around.

I didn't find any questions in the forum.

Thanks in advance!

Ouarzazate, Morocco
Level Contributor
128 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe go out at night?

Hi

Yes, it is "safe" to go out at night, safer than in most european or american cities. On the other hand there is no complete safe place everywhere in the world. In the bigger cities like Rabat and especially in Fes, be cautious of your handbag and keep it tight to your body.

Enjoy your trip.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe go out at night?

I find Morocco to be similar to Europe, where most places are fine to go at on a night, but there are some areas of a city/town which may not be so great.

Chaouen is a very placid, quiet place where the streets are quiet on a night, and the medina is well lit in most places, but I wouldn’t walk up to the old mosque up out of town as that’s where a lot of young, hash selling lads hang out, and they can get a little pushy if your not used to it.

Fes is a big city split in two, with the old medina being quite dark and maze like on a night, so knowing where your going is essential and being careful when folk approach you offing goods/services, but other than that, the usual big city rules apply, like keeping a hand on your bag and being aware of who’s around you….just as you would do at home. The new town is similar, where you just wouldn’t start wandering off down dark back streets with no lights…..but that’s the same for any city in the world.

Rabat is somewhere I’ve only ever passed through, but reports tend to suggest that Rabat and Cassa’ are more edgy with the usual street crime being more prevalent than say Fes or Marrakesh, but still no where near as risky as say Madrid, Paris or London where street crime is rampant.

Crime statistics also indicate that Morocco is considerably safer than most European cities, with muggings, robberies and other violent street crimes being ridiculously low compared to Madrid, Paris or London. To put it in context, I have probably spent more time in Morocco than in London, but I have never been robbed or attacked in Morocco and most certainly have in London…..a few times!

Perceived risk usually tricks you in to thinking that a developing country like Morocco is going to be dangerous and risky, and folk want to rob or attack you, but the irony is that it’s usually the “developed” countries like the UK and Spain where violent street crime is common….if not endemic!

The real risk in Morocco is not personal safety on a night, but the risk of folk convincing you to hand cash over…..not force it out of you. Moroccans are born businessmen and they are experts at the “hard sell”, where you end up buying a load of stuff you didn’t know you wanted! LoL.

I see you’re from Lisbon. My advise would be to treat morocco as you do when out in Lisbon and you’ll be fine.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe go out at night?

Yes, not a problem. I just got back from 3 weeks in Morocco and was in Fes for about a week. Nighttime in the medina and the square, Place Bab Boujloud up until about 11:30pm. If I was alone I'd head back to the hotel about this time as I wouldn't see many other women about, if I saw women about then I would stay out. If I was with friends it wasn't unusual for us to be out in the new city until 12:30 or 1am, then just take a taxi back to my hotel near Bouj Loud. This was my fifth trip to Morocco and I always feel safer there than I do here in Richmond, VA.

4. Re: Safe go out at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2013, 10:16