We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

Nt, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

Hi all

Coming back for our 2nd visit to Morocco in early May, and we have 3 days in Fes. I am very keen to have some custom made cushion covers made - can anyone give me a recommended shop/stall for such items? Would there be a quality place within the medina, or would we find better options in the new part of the city?

Thanks so much for your help ... Leanne

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

There are many fabric shops in the medina of Fes where you can buy ready made cushion covers and/or choose from a wide variety of fabrics including 'vegetable silk' - sabra. These shops can also arrange for seemstresses although they would need at least a day to complete the work after receiving your fabric(s).

Nt, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

thanks so much Pilobolus - apologies for the late reply, I haven't been near the computer for a few days. That sounds great. I may have to make it my first priority so that I can get them done before leaving. Being the expert for Marrakech, do you think it will be easier to get them done there rather than Fes? I have both options.

Thanks for your help ... Leanne

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

No problem Leanne. I do not know of any specific outlets in Fes, just the general details. However I have ordered many cushion covers and curtains here in Marrakech and can therefore recommend a couple of places in the medina. (Do not have contact details to hand as I just walk in from the street!) Will try to do that for you.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

There's a good seamster on the Talaa Kbira going down just as you come off the Ain Azliten car park, but I can tell you from personal experience it might be a stretch to have materials picked out and handed over to be done into cushions in the space of just 3 days. I'd suggest getting an official medina guide in Fes to help with the translation, there are loads of seamsters all over the medina, most local women still buy their fabrics and have cushions and sofa/mattress covers made this way. Offer to pay a small deposit up front but insist on full payment only when you've got the finished product.

Nt, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

thanks very much to both of you ... I will look into it in Fes and try to find the seamster. We may have a 1/2 day with a guide when we arrive so I'm sure he'll help - thanks chano!

Pilobulus, I would really love details for those places you have used - I also have 5 days there which may be more practical the more I think about it.

It's nice to have options, and info from locals ... thanks again!

Leanne

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

Trying to find actual addresses for you but so far can only remember the name of the main street where many fabric shops are located - Avenue Hauman el Fetouki. It is to the south of Djemma al Fna and close to the Mellah (a place well worth visting for its covered markets, spice stalls and herboristes, even more fabric shops and even a synagogue!)

Nt, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

Thanks for your help Pilobolus - very appreciated. I will definitely have a look in that area.

Will be in Fes next Monday... very excited now!

Cheers. Leanne

8. Re: Fabrics, Cushion Covers etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 07:18