We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fes to marrakech--renting a car

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eureka Springs...
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
fes to marrakech--renting a car

traveling in september for 14 days and we're thinking about renting a car to drive from fes to Marrakech. we will stop on the way at azrou, erg chebbi, toubkal, todre gorge, and then drop off the car in Marrakech.

question: would this be outlandishly expensive or crazy to do this? and is there something else along that route--in addition to time we're spending in fez and Marrakech-- that are places not to be missed without using up too much time so that it's all a blur?

thanks in advance!

Fes, Morocco
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

Driving a car around Morocco is fairly easy. As long as you have a good guide book and map, you should be fine. If you want to have a car and driver, this can easily be arranged. Most of the travelers we know, usually prefer to have someone take them...

From Fes to Marrakech - you will want to see Azrou, Todra Gorges, Dades Gorges, Skoura (Kasbahs), Ait Benhaddou, and Ouarzazate. BUT THE MAIN thing to see is the desert...enjoy your time down near Merzouga. We love the Auberge Dune Dor right there on the dunes...

Eureka Springs...
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

thank you--that is perfect information!!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

Apart from the fact that Dune d'Or is teetotal. ;)

Eureka Springs...
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

isn't everything teetotal? or what don't I know yet?

Eureka Springs...
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

and while I have your attention tim, what is your opinion on renting a car--pickup at fes and drop off at Marrakech--doable? much hassle? thanks!

Eureka Springs...
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

morocco and type of shoes--

was going to wear my strapped sandals and plan to do a fair amount of walking around. i'm wondering if closed shoes make more sense--and thoughts and wisdom on this?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

In most parts of Morocco (especially the tourist cities) alcohol is freely available - I realise that many foreigners dont expect this!

also some car hire companies will allow a one way hire but only the big international names and there may be an extra fee - try getting on a quote online from fes to marrakech to see who does it

Eureka Springs...
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

experienceit-- thanks so much for all that information--the stops along the way you mentioned are very helpful...also, how much, approximately, on the average, would a driver charge per day? thanks again!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
178 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

We did a trip from Fez to Marrakesh with a tour company for about 4 nights. We found this to be worthwhile, and they provided lots of sightseeing options. We drove though to our other destinations, which we thoroughly enjoyed as we could stop and start as we wanted to. It depends on your time factors. Note that the roads through the nountains are narrow, and often scary with the Moroccan drivers, and you have to contend with 2-wheeled, 3-wheeled, 4-wheeled, 6-wheeled transport, lots of 4-legged and 2 -legged beings etc! It can all get a bit hairy at times, but an experience in itself. Be prepared to get lost, as we found that even our fancy map came up barehanded when in the cities - Arabic vs English!

We hired a car in Casablanca, then went to various places, dropped the car at Fez airport, got a taxi to the medina, and then the tour company collected us a few days later for the Marrakesh leg. Then from Marrakesh we took the train back to Casablanca, stayed in the hotel next to the station, and went to the airport the next day.

mpls
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fes to marrakech--renting a car

Hi. I am jumping into this conversation but we are also looking to pick up a car in marrakech and dropping it in Fez. May I ask what car company you choose? We have 10 days total but will only be using the car for about 4 days as there is no reason to rent a car while in marrakech not fez. Also, we are planning on visiting the coast as well as volubis, meknes etc. We are seeing that we do not have enough time for chefchaouen. Any other suggestions of what to see? We love architecture, art, history , culture, sacred spots. Thanks for any advice.