We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilets in Fes

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
155 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Toilets in Fes

Hi,

Visiting Fes for the first time in September.

Regarding toilets, are the ones in cafes and restaurants of the 'hole in the ground'/turkish variety or are they now mainly European-style? Important for a woman to know these things :)

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilets in Fes

Depends on the quality of the cafe.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
155 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilets in Fes

Thanks. Any cafe (with European-style loos) recommendations, Tim?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilets in Fes

In the City centre most of the cafes are in the European style, as Tim has mentioned depends on the quality of the Cafe/Restaurant although inside the Medina history and old things for Tourists they have facilities.

recommendations can be depends on where exactly you need to be.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilets in Fes

lol I was so sucked in by your title.

I had to click to see what you were asking

I have not seen any hole in the ground kind except at a locals house in the mountains.

Other than that, I try to do all my 'stuff' at the riad or hotel where the place is clean and has toilet paper.

Otherwise I always walk with toilet paper in my bag when travelling

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilets in Fes

If you are down in the medina a ways you can always pay the 10 - 20 dirham entrance fee to Nejjarine Museum in an emergency. They have fairly clean western style toilets. Some of the small cafes around Bab Boujloud don't have a public toilet in them, although the ones that have a terrace upstairs usually do as does Cafe Clock. I always stay at a small hotel there and just go to the hotel if I'm near the gate. There are a couple of cafes up in the city center that I prefer but can't remember the names at the moment.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
178 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilets in Fes

Aaaah, I hear you as a woman on this question.

During my travels, I found that in the medina and at better looking eating spots, you would find a proper toilet.

As per above - try to do what you need to at your Riad.

Take toilet paper/tissues with you, perhaps some feminine wipes, waterless anti-bacterial hand-cleaner (which I used before and after meals in any event to keep from getting a tummy bug).

Out of the cities, in the hills, things are definitely different but at accomodation we had proper toilets.

I will say, using a hole in the floor is something you have to experience at least once for a good laugh when you get home and have to tell a funny story!!

However, its really not all that bad, and I came home completely unscathed from any of my WC experiences.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
155 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilets in Fes

Thank you for all your comments.

Marrakech can be a bit 'hit and miss' regarding western-style toilets (pun intended), so I just wondered if Fes is similar or has even fewer facilities being that much less touristy. It seems from your comments that there are quite a few loos to be found, so I'm happy about that. Thanks.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilets in Fes

I find it's a good mix of both styles of toilets in normal cares/restaurants etc and agree that most tourist orientated mid to top end places will have a site down loo. But I disagree with the comments that you will only find squat bogs in family homes in the mountains (witch insinuates that they are the preserve of poor folk). This is not true as you will find them in most if not all road side stops like petrol stations, bus stations, public offices or just public toilets, where there’s usually an option of either styles.....which, incidentally, are usually much cleaner than public loos in the UK by a long way!

I haven’t stayed in a hotel/hostel where there’s a squat bog in the on-suit for decades, though some cheap places may often have a squat bog as a shared facility (along with a sit down option).

Don’t be scared of the squat......it’s you friend. They’re a lot more natural way to do your business and can actually be beneficial to you constitution! They also allow you to go without having to do the stress position of the hover (if it looks unclean) or even touch the loo with you backside!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
155 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilets in Fes

Hi Kate88,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that squat loos can be found everywhere in cafes and restaurants - at least that's true of Marrakech anyway - alongside the option of at least one western-style loo in many places. The problem is my ol' knees aren't what they once were - and this method kills them altogether.

I visited some Berber friends in the village of Imlil in the High Atlas recently who are just in the process of renovating their house - and the new bathroom they are installing has a brand new squat loo - they chose this in preference to a western-style one. As you say, they are actually more hygienic as long as they are kept clean. And my friends are certainly not poor!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toilets in Fes

I see......the common western issue of knees not being up for the “job”, so to speak! That really does preclude you from the joys of a squat bog.....that’s a shame.

I too find the old knees are the week point with squats....mine are just not used to bending that far and it takes a few days to get used to the new ways of doing things, and every time I go to a part of the world with squats it takes longer and longer to get used to it. I’m always astounded when I see 80-90 year old Moroccan women who can hardly walk make a bee-line for the squats....they must have knees of steel!

I wouldn’t worry at all about finding a site down......like I said, most loos cafes etc are now sit downs, so nothing to worry about.